Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Best ankle straps

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  henry06x 
#1 ·
Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

I'm in the market for new bindings, ankle strap is just one component, but it's an important one - and it's discouraging to read up or check out a binding that seems perfect, then read a review criticizing the ankle strap's comfort.

Does anyone get ankle straps right today?
I haven't been 100% impressed with any that I've owned over the past 20 years. Maybe this should be the starting point for my shopping.

#7 ·
You should try out the new bindings that ride is putting out if you have not for awhile. The wedgie footbed has quite a bit of cushioning now. I have herd some people think it has "too much" cushioning, but I really like it. They have also put out new ankle straps the last few years that are a lot more comfortable than the old ones. They distribute the pressure better than their older straps and although they still look thin they feel way better. I am not saying you should go out and buy some now or they are the most comfortable, but if you get the chance to try out some of the new stuff and are in the mood you might be surprised.

#3 ·
Flux is definitely in my short list for bindings. Last year's DS30 or this year's RK30 I can have for basically the same price. Visually at least, the straps look similar, their site shows differences but I'm not sure how much of that is actual vs. marketing. I imagine both are good.

#6 ·
The restricted (which have the asym straps) Burton Customs with the re:flex base are on my short list, as are the Union Contact Pros... I wasn't sure on the Union straps, I saw some negative comments - at least from guys who really crank their straps. I think I pull mine pretty tight... ankle strap, not toe... so that was steering me a little away from that.

I do keep hearing great things about Flux - I never even heard of them until this year, only one shop at a resort an hour from here carries them, I haven't gotten there yet...
...but I'm still tempted to pull the trigger on some sight-unseen last-year model DS30's, based on all the positive comments. Would like to check out this year's RK30's in person though. I'm getting the feeling that for my needs, either one would be great, in sort of a 6-one-way, half-dozen-the-other sort of sense.

#8 ·
I know, I've seen a few Ride bindings in my research travels here... no doubt they all look better than the set I have now, even fundamentally different in the ways my current Ride bindings let me down - several of their models caught my eye actually.
But a bad experience doesn't leave me feeling like I should reward that with another purchase.
If nothing else, I'd like to try something new from someone new.

#9 ·
I also have a growing list of bindings as it just seems like there are nice things on one, that isn't on another, the perfect binding seems elusive.

In the last few years I've been thru these 4:

-really old t9's
-Ride Contraband (hated)
-k2 Uprises (comfy, but sorta fell apart, not great customer service)
-got some new 'Vitas, and probably Cartels later in the year too

Still want to try

-Raiden Machine and Blackhawk
-Flux xx30, xx45, and either of the DMCC models
-even tempted towards Forum bindings a little
-Switchback

#10 ·
Forum is intriguing to me also....
I've been a longtime Burton binding fan, but I've always been so-so on ankle strap comfort. I'm tempted to try the asym straps on the Custom Restricteds, but I've heard mixed things on those as well. And I'm feeling a little sketchy on the re:flex bases... I love the concept, but the base components (pads) felt flimsy and I'm unsure how they'd hold up over time.

That being said - I understand Forum is owned by Burton, I wonder how much of the components that I like are shared between them? At a glance at a local shop, the ratchets seem as nice as the Burton ratchets.

#15 · (Edited)
I just got a pair of this years Ride El Hefe's, the ankle strap looks really good.

It's has a really dense foam pad with cloth material on the boot side. They are really thin & streamlined, & look like they would be super comfy. They are completely seamless & look as though the foam was molded onto/around the cloth.

But it also looks like they would get scratched up maybe, I don't know I may be wrong?

Not comfort related, but for convenience.
There is also a weird hinge thing on the strap that is supposed to keep the strap out of the way when it's undone. Don't know how well it would work, but in theory I like the idea.

I also just got a pair of Ride EX's, the EX's strap doesn't look that much different from every other kind of ankle strap, the El Hefe's strap just looks ten times better.

But for $400+tax, you should @ least get a hand job while riding the chairlift. Incorporate that into a binding & you got yourself a winner.

But I have never used any Ride binders before.
Looking good & working well are two completely different things.

We'll see shortly though...

TT

#17 ·
In answer to the OP here, I will compare more closely the burton restricted asym strap to the strap on my k2 Uprises in the coming weeks, but the hinge on the k2 ankle straps should never go unmentioned, and should be stolen somehow by everyone. That feature is simple as fuck and money.

#18 ·
I actually checked out the K2 Hurrithanes at a local Dicks in the mall while I was wandering the other day - I did think they looked like a damn comfy bindng, I even took one down and stepped into it. Looked packed with features for a super cheap price... the ones I checked out were only $140.
A local shop carries K2, so I may just take another look at them.

I've been hesitant to really look at K2's mainly because I have Ride bindings now, and I've been disappointed by their comfort and the one buckle plastic cracked... I don't mean that as an unfair generalization, but rather disappointment doesn't (and I don't believe ever should) lead someone to being a repeat customer... and their relationship makes me suspect. It's even unclear to me which brand is positioned to be the higher end.
...My engine grenading twice while under warranty won't likely lead me to buy another Hyundai, even thought they've supposedly improved and improved and improved since. Same thought, it's principles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.