Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Fuck Apple.
Thread: Fuck Apple.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #78 (permalink)
hikeswithdogs
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
This is a legit point. It's the positive and negative of an open source OS.

Early on especially, Android was plagued by marginal hardware. But, Google is going to kill Motorola. They just bought them for the patents. They have no long-term interest in hardware manufacturing. They're laying off people within Motorola left and right. They're just trying to trim the fat so they can sell off the hardware manufacturing arm and just keep the treasure trove of patents.
Really I thought I heard rumors that they were gonna actually make their own branded tablet?

Do you mean software or hardware patents, I can see the value of the software patents of course but if their not going to create their own hardware what's the point of having those Motorola hardware patents.....are they profitable via licensing or something?

I mean I can't see them going full Apple walled garden style but I could see them forcing hardware manufactures(it's not like Samsung/HTC have another viable mobile OS to choose from) to at least meet some kind of minimum requirements as far as CPU/memory and button layout configuration......I wanna say Microsoft is doing something like this for the new windows phones which shocking I don't think are really that bad especially for the casual user that wants a cheap simple to use iOS alternative.