Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

one magtek / burton custom/barracuda

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  civic2tegg 
#1 ·
Hi all im on the lookout for a new board for this season. been riding a Burton blunt for the last 3 seasons all over the mountain.. but now im looking for something alot more stable and better grip!

my last board was a burton custom (loved it) but sold it to try a rocker board.
i ride all over the mountain not so much park, and want to get in to hiking and backcountry riding. ride mostly in Austria.

ive been looking at these 3 boards
Rossignol One Magtek 159
Burton Custom 160
Burton Barracuda 161

How do they perform on ice, groomers and pow.

hope anybody has some advice, also sugest other boards

#3 ·
Tanks David

My custom was the camber one. Havent tried the flying v. But it looks to much like v rocker. Despite it having frostbite egdes i did not feel comfortable ice.

I was leaning towards the one mag. Has any one ridden it.

Is it catchy?

#5 · (Edited)
Barracuda

I've got last year's 165 Barracuda w/Cartels I use as my powder stick. Set-up: 6'0" and 205 lbs, wear size 12 Vans boots, and set the bindings at reference width, 1 notch heelside from centered, +18/-12 deg.

I'll come right out and say that I do not like the feel of rocker boards and do not care for any rocker or hybrid variations with rocker between the bindings I've demo'd (...yet) - I like Camber between my feet. My main board is a 162W Custom X - it's my second CX, the first being a 2010, my current a '12.

Pow days being rare here in the East coast, I've only been on it 4 days last year: one "test" day here in upstate NY on groomers to get the feel of it, then 1 pow day in Stevens Pass, WA (14"), and 2 more in Feb in Revelstoke, BC (45cm and 28cm each day!).

It rides just fine on groomers. The transition to S-rocker is just aft of my front binding, so it's a bit more "pivoty" than a straight-up camber board but it holds well at speed on groomers. I find it very maneuverable in glades and the short camber section in the back allows decent carving and easy skid turns. In crud, it's a little rough and chattery as the S-rocker transition bangs on chunks a little hard. In the pow it rocks! At Revi, I wound up dialing in ~1.5" of set-back, and I literally was floating through thigh deep blower and slashing through the glades. I did ride it switch, but only to see if I could do it... not the best performer due to the inherent set-back and taper.

I've not ridden it in icy conditions.

With your weight forward, the nose stays down and it acts more like a camber - hybrid on groomers. In pow, you ride more centered/back, and the nose pops up for float. Very happy with it... Awesome ride for a resort pow stick.

Incidentally, when I talked to the RMR Cat Skiing folks, the Barracuda was the board they said they provide for their cat boarding rental.

#6 ·
One Mag & Barracuda

I own & ride both of these decks in the very same sizes. I am 6', 200 lbs. and wear a size 10. I never hit the park.

With these two decks I feel like I have all that I need to cover any day on the hill, given my riding style.

One Mag: This is the deck for when you are looking a cold day with hard pack groomers, some icy spots along the way,no sign of it warming up and your favourite powder stashes are all tracked out. It will give you fantastic grip, it is extremely predictable, catch free and you can ride it switch with no difficulty. It carries very good speed and if you should find some pow, you can always set your binders all the way back and it will do ok. The only time this deck will give you some grief is when it does warm up and then the Magna tends to give you more "bite" than what you want. But then you head to the rack and grab......

Your Barracuda: In softer conditions this board will handle groomers quite well. (Hard pack with ice and beware the washout.) With the channel you can quickly center yourself on the board and it will handle soft groomers pretty well. It will not "lock" on as well as the Rossi and because of the taper, it is not easy to ride switch. It is very much a directional deck. It has a looser feel to it on groomers, but still fun to ride. But when it snows, this is when the Barracuda shines. Set back your binders and get ready to surf and float your way down the mountain. The board is at its best in pow and gives you a ride that the One Mag can never match.

The One Mag is a fabulous all mountain board that does very well in almost all conditions. The Barracuda is a fabulous powder deck that is fine in other conditions. I am like Cycle900, I grab the Rossi 90% of the time, but when the pixy dust arrives, the Barracuda comes out to play.

#8 ·
I own a 2012 One Magtek and I love it. I'm not the guy that owns a board for different conditions so I was looking for something that was middle of the road that could hold it's own in anything. I read somwhere that the one mag is the board to have if you can only have one, so it's a perfect fit. Like mentioned above in ice it's a go getter, I live on the east coast so I havent had the privallage to ride it in powder yet since last season was such a joke but I'm sure it can handle it. so my vote is for the One MAg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.