Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What boards are good for this riding style?

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Spyrothedragon9 
#1 ·
This is pretty much what I do: Snowboarding Lake Louise - Gondola Lap - YouTube

Just add a jump every now and then. What would be some good boards for that style? I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I'm pretty dead set on the Burton Ions boots and Cartel bindings. I've been looking at the Capita BSOD, Burton Custom and Arbor A-Frame. Will these boards suit me well? Do you have any better recommendations?

#3 ·
Any =)

I think freestyle board will be goo. A-frame is freeride board, it's directional and stiff.
But it depends on what you want more: jumps or nice carves. If you want the second - topic gets interesting =)

I'd choose BX board, but that's another topic =))

#4 ·
I go to Le Massif every once in a while. Its has the highest vertical in all of Eastern Canada but I just ride on the groomers. So pretty much, what is a good board for groomers that is stable at high speeds, can carve, isn't too difficult to turn and can do basic tricks and jumps? I'm just trying to upgrade from my low-end Burton setup. I like burton's gear but I don't like my TWC standard. It find that it can't hold an edge, it just slides down everything.

#12 ·
Well id rank them like this :
-Burton custom
-Bataleon riot
-Burton TWC
TBT wont hold an edge good anywhere and since you dont ride pow id check that one off. Custom with camber could be an option and so could TWC or maybe NS SL? Magne-traction from Mervin is huge when carving on icy groomers.

#14 ·
I don't ever claim to be any good, at all, but that run seemed like a normal run to me. The only thing I can't do that he can, is ride switch.

All he did was ride a groomer down the mountain, did a few ollies, and rode switch. His switch riding seemed natural, but other than that, you could do what he did with a soft board.

And who ever said that wasn't a green run I'm scared to ask what a green run is in your area. Maybe a few borderline low low low blue areas, but that shit was pretty flat all the way through.

#19 ·
Right now its between the Never Summer Heritage and the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro. I'm strongly leaning towards the Travis Rice but after reading SnowWolf's review I'm not going to count out the Heritage just yet. Do you think the Cartels and Ion boots are a good match for these boards? Would you recommend something different?

#20 ·
Certainly that run is short and relatively flat (no steeps), any board that is not a total noodle could do that fine. Might want to go mid flex or above if your aim is to ride fast and aggressive.

The guy in the vid clearly has some decent riding skills, nice upright posture with flexed lower body and he is carrying a camera the whole while. My guess is he could do more tricks than that without the camera.

He isn't showing us anything special, but if you are going to comment negatively on anyones riding lets see you post up a vid of your own:cheeky4:.

The difference between a rider who can ride switch comfortably and one that can't is pretty significant IMO.

How about a new forum rule?
Any critical post of someones riding requires that you post up a vid of your own;).

#24 · (Edited)
This is the smaller of 2 mountains that are close to each other that I go to every once in s while. Its a better representation of what I tend to do. The camera work isn't nearly as good and the music is weird but its what I could find.
Skiing/Snowboarding Mont Sainte-Anne Edit - GoPro HD (2012) - YouTube
Ok, this is a little better. In the first video I literally saw Green Circle signs at like 0:55 and 3:30. This second video there are some runs that have some pitch to them. Hopefully, you aren't going to be like the rider at 4:08 in the video you posted above :D.

Anyways... to be honest, if this is the type of slopes your are riding. The Heritage or the T Rice Pro are might be too much board for you (too stiff for the moderate slopes and medium speed to be fun). SL is enough...

#26 ·
FWIW I know I'm intimidating and scary, and that's why it seems I'm so hostile all the time. In fact I am a teddy bear and I was not criticizing that guys riding at all, he was very smooth. Unfortunately all he did was a couple ollies going slow doing non-aggressive carves on a green run. The OP asked what kind of board is good for this. A fucking skateboard with the trucks ripped off, the top of a garbage can, or a fucking Burton Backhill like I said.

Sorry for being so salty.

FUCK!!

:cheeky4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.