Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

New Freestyle Board (+bindings): Arbor Westmark, Skate Banana, Yes Greats, NS Proto?

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jdang307 
#1 ·
I wanna get a new board and bindings.

My weight: 160lbs
My height: 5'9
My boots: Nitro Team US 10, MP 28.0, EU 42 2/3
Expected board size: ~152-154 I guess

I wanna use the board mostly in the park for small to mid sized features, but also to hit some natural features on the slopes, buttering, maybe some smaller rails.

Currently I ride a Burton Custom 157 Wide 2009, with Cartel bindings. 22" 18/-18 duck stance, Goofy.
I like the Custom for slopes, and kickers.
BUT, it is a bit too wide for me, I'd love to have true twin (for switch), rocker shape for more agility, and a bit of a softer flex.

My current favorites:

1) Arbor Westmark
Flex 4, True Rocker, True Twin.
(+) A bit softer than the alternatives
(+) True Rocker, so probably even a bit more agile than the alternatives
(+) Absolutely love the design (with the wood structure still visible on the top sheet)
(-) 2013 model has an extruded base, a bit slower, but probably a bit more robust
Reviews:
2013 Arbor Westmark Used and Reviewed «
Arbor Westmark 2013 Snowboard Review
Arbor Westmark | The Good Ride

2) Lib Tech Skate Banana
Flex 4-5, Hybrid CamRock, True Twin.
(+) Magnetraction
(+) One of the most popular boards around, I guess for a reason
(-) Not too excited about the design TBH

3) YES The Greats
Flex 5, Hybrid CamRock, True Twin.
(+) Asymmetric Sidecut
Reviews:
2013 Yes The Greats Used and Reviewed «
Snowboard Review: 12-13 YES Greats
YES Great Riders of History | The Good Ride

4) Never Summer Proto CT
Flex 5-6, Hybrid CamRock, True Twin.
(+) Never Summer seems to build the dampest and most durable boards
(-) Maybe a bit too stiff (while I think the Evo could be too soft...)
Reviews:
Never Summer Proto CT 2012 Snowboard Review
Never Summer Proto | The Good Ride

Bindings:

1) Union Contact Pro
Light, soft.

2) Burton Cartel
Light, stiff.
Possibly go for the Restricted version? Pro/con?

3) Union Atlas
Light, medium flex.

4) Flux DMCC Light
Ultra light, medium-stiff flex.
Less shock-absorption.
Quite pricey, worth the money?

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#2 ·
Keeping the Custom?

In my opinion get the Westmark. I've ridden the coda and the Arbor shape is just so playful. The Westmark I hear more so (Park system with blunted edges etc.) which is why I'm excited to take it out.

Not keeping the custom? Yikes, that would make it tougher and Maybe I'd go with the Proto?If you have a small mountain then the Westie should be fine.

You can butter with a proto.

#4 ·
Oh, and what di you guys think about sizing?

Westmark: 153? Or even 150?
Skate Banana: 152?

Union Contact Pro is difficult. I'm in between the sizes. Would M/L be too small for size 10 boots?
Any opinions about Burton Malavita, or Flux DS30?

Thanks all!

#5 · (Edited)
eliminate the skate banana from your list.

those other boards are all ones I would love to own, the skate banana I would regift or resell immediately without bothering to ride.

sike I already have a proto and it is awesome.

fwiw cartels are not TOO stiff.

I rode k2 uprises with my proto last season, going to use them tomorow for day 1, but then will try out 2012 malavitas on it for day2.

Of the bindings you listed I would only consider the cartels or flux's. Also would consider raiden phantom or blackhawk.

#7 ·
I'm 145 on a 150, so I'd recommend a 153 easily for you.

Hell, did you ever think about a Blacklist? At that weight and boot size, the Blacklist may be a contender. hell you might not ever take your custom out ;)

Malavita, cartel, Uprise, Phantom, all seem like good choices.

#8 · (Edited)
I love my Arbors. I have both the Draft and the Westmark and they are incredible boards.

One other board that you might want to look into is the Rossignol Jibsaw. Had the opportunity to ride it for a few days last season and I was impressed with the performance. Hybrid camber, not too much of a noodle with nice flex, and magnatraction. With the 2012 models going for like $150-$200 i'm tempted to pick one up this season.

#9 ·
Thanks guys!

I settled on the Westmark 153 (blue) now. Yay! Thanks for your help!

Just not quite sure about the bindings yet. (Boots size 10/28.0)

I ruled out the Union Contact Pros, because I'm in between sizes, and maybe it's a bit too soft.
Left are:

1) Nitro/Raiden Phantom (size M)
(+) Light
(-) Air cushions could burst?

2) Burton Malavita Restricted (size M)
(+) Super-Light
(-) Not so responsive?

3) Flux DS30 (size M or L?)
(+) Super-Light
(-) Maybe too soft?

What do you guys think?

#10 ·
Actually I'm down to Malavita or DS30 now.

Does the Malavita Restricted have anything else than the wing (which I'm sceptical about)?

What do you guys think? Malavita or DS30? Would the DS30 be too soft?
Maybe order both and only keep the one which fits the boots better?

#13 ·
I'm having pretty much the same situation, I have a 58 custom from 09 and I'm looking for a flexible board for the park and still decent in jumps. I've been reading a lot and i geeting advice and the arbor westmark or blacklist seems to be a good option. I'm looking for the flow era too.
In all your bindings I see you are considering weight, in that case I would go with the flux

#17 ·
Alright, so I decided for the Malativas.

* Union Contact Pro: Toe ratchet gets stuck easily. Toe straps looked rather primitive.
* Raiden Phantom: Significantly heavier than the others, straps and ratchets only average, footbed poor.
* Flux DS30: Would have been my second favorite (nice ratchets, straps), but...
* The Malavitas had even stronger, and perfectly flying ratchets. Also the EVA footbed has better cushioning, they have Re:Flex and overall they appeared to be built more solidly.

So thanks everybody!

#18 ·
I personally liked the ratchets and straps on Raidens better than the ones on the Vitas. And the Phantoms have the airbags which are great for dampening but I've heard the Vitas are more comfy in everyday riding.

But the ratchets were like butter. So smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.