Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Burton ION vs. Nitro Select TLS

21K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Rustyyy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I cannot decide between the Burton Ion and the Nitro Select TLS.
I have just purchased a Burton Custom Flying V with Cartel EST bindings and my old boots are pretty loose and want to change them as-well. I need a confy responsive boot and after a lot of internet searching and reading reviews I narrowed down the list to these two models. Please help me decide from your experience which is better.

#4 ·
I've ridden the Nitro Selects and they are a great boot. They really hold my ankle in. The adjustable tongue stiffener lets me adjust the the feel of the boots for park or freeriding.

That being said, the boot fits my narrow heel, wide toe foot. It may not fit your foot (I found Burton boots to be too wide for my feet). If you have always "cranked" down on your laces... your boots are probably too wide. With my Nitro I just need to make the lace just snug tight.

#5 ·
I've ridden the Nitro Selects and they are a great boot. They really hold my ankle in. The adjustable tongue stiffener lets me adjust the the feel of the boots for park or freeriding.

That being said, the boot fits my narrow heel, wide toe foot. It may not fit your foot (I found Burton boots to be too wide for my feet). If you have always "cranked" down on your laces... your boots are probably too wide. With my Nitro I just need to make the lace just snug tight.
Thanks for sharing that :) Was wondering about the TLS, does it stay locked all day or you need to re tighten after few rounds?

#7 ·
I went from ions to selects.

I wasn't impressed with the ions. I got the selects a few weeks ago and ridin them once and pretty much have had them on around the house a few hours a day. From what I can tell from only riding once is they are a better choice then the Ions

The select is a lot more compfy and less room to move around I felt the ions where boxy any alowes my foot to move side to aide

And the selects lacing system really is a step
Above button IMO, it just seems you have more control over the ammount of tighness in the top and bottom.

I realy like how the liner in the select holds your foot as well. It has two Velcro
Tabs at the top that extend over that really makes it asnug fit. You don't have to over compensate by tightening areas of the boot more then other, the boot itself just fits my foot 100 times better then the ion

They seem about the same stiffness as the ion cause both are stiff boots. But tw selects have an insert that stiffens the boot up
Noticeabley. I

#9 ·
I own a pair of both boots and rode them last season. I have narrow heels/ankles and a normal width forefoot. The Nitros are definitely for narrower feet and fit pretty snugly without having crank down on the laces. I've found that I don't need to tighten down the laces throughout the day. Maybe once in the morning after a few runs I will tighten them. They are a very stiff boot without the tongue stiffner in them.

I'm not a big fan of the liner lacing mechanism though. I've found it to be a bit difficult to tighten up with any precision. The Nitros have some ventilation holes on top of the toe box and on windy days I could feel the cold air coming in and in the Spring water seemed to find its way in. In either case it was just enough to make it noticeable and not enough to make it miserable. Also, I did have my Nitros warrantied at the end of the season as one of the air bags blew out and one of the lacing loops started to detach from the boot. Replacement was really fast and it is worth noting that the Nitro gear has a two-year warranty.

The Ions are for more normal width feet. However, I added the J bars and they pretty fit well. Not quite as snugly as the Select TLS boots. There wasn't heel lift, but my ankles weren't locked as well as the Nitros. They are very comfortable boots and are considerably softer than the Nitros, which probably explains why they don't feel as snug as the Nitros. There were also less responsive than the Nitros because they are softer. I am also not a fan of the the liner lacing in the Ions. I understand what Burton is doing with it, but I would prefer the liner to have laces. Though I do like the lacing mechanism. However, that is just a personal preference.

Neither boot it the perfect fit for me. For my feet with a normal width forefoot, a narrow ankle, a tall instep and a long arch, they Ions with a custom footbed seem to be most comfortable. Because of a taller instep, my feet tend to fall asleep in the Nitros if they are a smidge overtightened. However, I prefer the snugness and response of the Nitros. And the factory footbed supported my feet well, which is just dumb luck. No cramping as with other boots I have used.

I hope this helps a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.