Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Binding stiffness effect on riding
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ragtop View Post
I am wanting to get some new bindings for my westmark. How will a softer binding effect the feel of riding?

I have cartels and don't mind them but was thinking of going to a softer binding like the DS30. How will this effect feel and or performance. I expect the heel to toe flex to be similar on these but the lateral to be softer allowing for easier tweaking, butters, and presses? But outside of that how will general riding feel?

Mainly ride all mountain freestyle and plan to get into parks too.
It makes everything feels a little sloppier/looser as a softer binding is going to flex/bend instead of transferring the energy into the board. That will make things a little more forgiving if you land off-balance on a jump or a box (where the bindings would normally drive your board up on edge).

The drawback is that your carving on groomers is going to suffer. Of course if you never carved on groomers in the first place and mainly just skidded around, then you might not notice a difference.

I have a pair of old (2009? 2010) Rome 390s and there were fun in the park... but too soft for freeriding (same for the Burtom P1s I had). I got a pair of 2011 Rome 390 Bosses and they were a bit stiff and acceptable for freeriding. I prefer stiffer bindings in general (Burton CO2 and C60) as I've found that they minimally affect my jibbing... but really make a difference when riding groomers and steeps.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote