Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Longer boards for riding pow?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #50 (permalink)
TLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
Would the Rome Notch be too much for 30cm -50cm powder
Then what element provides the stability during high speed? Higher stiffness? Longer boards?
The swallow tail is more more speed? or easier turns in chest deep powder?
30cm of snow it's still almountain =)) heh
Rome notch will be fine, but i'd try to find something different for that sum.

I've never tried the swallowtail, but i will this or next year, and buy one.
But as i understand the physics, the stablilty comes from longer effective edge. The longer the edge, the faster you can go, that works everywhere.
You need stiffer tail and softer nose. Softer nose will bend and float up onto the snow, and the stiffer tail will tend to sank down. Also this slash helps to keep tail longer but with smaller square, this makes edges longer, but tail sinks and let the nose go up.

All of this results in higher speeds, more stability and flotation. If you can keep your weight on a front foot you can turn something like Undertaker 185 or 198 in pow quite quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
a stiff board with great edgehold, for instance?? Burton fish? Burton family tree cheetah?
btw whats Nug Raduction that lets you downsize the board?
NO =)
You gotta take a look at Never Summer Raptor, NS Summt (for pow), Prior Pow-stick, Prior BX(tons of edge hold, really), Apo swallowtail etc...
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote