Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Longer boards for riding pow?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
TLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation

Yeah 30cm isnt totally backcountry. But I will be snowboarding in such terrain 90% of the time. I want a powder board instead of an all mt one for more surfy feel
So the surfy feel would be swallow tail> Fish> pin tail, according to their surface areas? (provided that they have the same nose size)

Would a board with too wide waist length (shoe size 8.5US and 26.2cm board waist)be a disadvantage? Like usually we use the base rather than the edges when riding powder.
No. Swallowtail's and pintail are made that way - so they sink in snow, because of a smaller surface. This makes your nose go up.
I bet most surfy feel you get with furberg, lib tech banana hammock, Fawcett boards, That's reverse sidecut. I haven't tried, but this looks like most surfy feel.

Then Fish tail, as i think it's tail won't sink as swallow or pintail.
Swallowtails are made for faster speed, so as pintails. Swallowtails are the best for powder, no doubt. But you better ride bigger open areas on this.

Board width is no problem i think. But with 8.5 i'd personaly go for narrower board. Longer means more edge with the same surface
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote