Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First Avalanche fatality of the Season
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Unofficial Networks is reporting that a contractor was killed near Stewart BC. RIP.

Never too early to be using those avalanche eyes folks.
Ouch, yeah I couldn't help but thinking the same thing while looking at Chupa's early riding pics from Revelstoke. Looks like a great time but I'd be worried about avalanches too much (hence why I don't venture into the backcountry yet)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Hmmmm, Interesting case. I am thinking the company may not have trained their people about avalanche awareness and in the course of doing their jobs, they may have been totally unaware of their danger. I can smell lawyers on this one.
I thought you worked up here before? No real possibility for lawyers to get involved in Canada. We gave up our right to sue to have our current workplace safety/insurance system years ago. OHS can charge supervisors/directors/etc. within the company and there can be stiff fines. Also if supervisors are suspected to have prior knowledge of the hazard, and ordered the workers into an unsafe situation anyway, there is a potential for charges under Bill C-43. If convicted it is a criminal offence and there is potential jail time and VERY stiff fines.

Families are compensated for the workers death through Worksafe BC so there are no multi-million dollar lawsuits in Canada. Now if a member of the public sustains a loss due to an employers activities, there are plenty of opportinuties to sue. (i.e. if the surveyors caused an avalanche that took out some property or members of the public down from them), but that would be a civil suit methinks...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote