Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - rehab broken collarbone
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
DirtyD27

I am a physical therapist. The main question to ask at this point is how do you feel in terms of shoulder function? Do you feel that you a lacking in anything besides strength? What I mean by this is do you have full range of motion of your shoulder our any upper back or neck problems that were associated to this injury. Also, do you still have pain at the fracture site? Being that you fractured the clavicle, (collar bone) last year it should be more than healed. it takes 6-8 weeks for bone to heal to a significant degree. The last phase of bone healing is called remodeling this phase can take several months and in some cases a year or more. Performing regular activities and exercise promotes bone health and strength. At this point I would recommend, so long as you do not have pain or other complications with shoulder, upper back or neck that it would be fine to perform regular exercise. If you are unfamiliar with appropriate exercises to perform or what area's of the body to strength I'd seek help from a licensed professional trainer, not your buddy who's into weight lifting as your training should not be tailored to bulking up, rather an overall general strengthening and muscle endurance program to include the core (not abs), chest, shoulder and scapular strengthening both eccentric and concentric exercises. Being that your a young guy you'll bounce back quickly. Hope it works out for you, good luck and safe riding this year!

My rides
2012 NS Legacy 163.
2013 NS Brothers in Arms Cobra 163.

Last edited by DirtyD27; 10-25-2012 at 12:56 PM.
DirtyD27 is offline   Reply With Quote