Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First Avalanche fatality of the Season
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
A civil suit is exactly what I was referring to, not a criminal case. Even in Canada, if someone`s negligence causes harm to another, they can be sued. If a Canadian company is negligent and causes harm to a person they can still be sued. Not saying there was in this case and it is good that litigation law is a bit more reasonable up there. In the US, the very first thing that would be happening is Laywers for the victims families would be making allegations that the company did not do enough to protect their workers. Hence my comment about "smelling lawyers" they are for the most part shit scraping ambulance chasers even in Canada.
Yeah actually that's what I mean, generally speaking if a worker is injured on the job nobody has the right to sue. It's written right into the workplace safety insurance acts of the various provinces. The system was brought in when workers couldn't afford lawyers, so people viewed it as a more fair system.

Worker X gets his arm cut off at work, he's given X amount in compensation, plus his medical costs and time off work are paid by the board.

Worker Y dies at work, and his family receives Y amount in compensation without having to get lawyers involved.

You can forefit your right to the WCB benefits and try the lawsuit route, but that must be communicated in writing to the various boards within a relatively short period of time. And if you fail with the civil suit you can't go back and get your WCB compensation.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote