Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First Avalanche fatality of the Season
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Sounds like a better system than we have. Down here, companies routinely injure workers because of cost savings shortcuts and if the worker can`t afford a good lawyer, he's shit out of luck. Down here, its those with the money that can afford justice.
Yeah it is a pretty good system, there's still bias in it. In Alberta the system seems biased towards the employers when they decide on cases. In Ontario it's the other way around.

The dollar amounts are also lower for payouts than you'd possibly see in the lawsuits (certainly no multi million dollar payouts). But the payout amounts are equal for everyone, solely based on the injury/loss.

The system is designed to encourage the employer to not injure anybody. We're forced to pay WCB premiums for every hour a worker works. If we have a low injury stat at the end of the year we get a premium rebate, if we have a high injury stat there can even be a surcharge.

As a safety professional I'm engrained in this stuff every day, and the system shapes the way we bid/work/etc. and I can honestly say it's not a bad system.

Can't view videos on my work computer but I'm sure there's plenty of avalanche risk in that part of the world right now!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote