Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Critique my newb setup?...
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
OldDog
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Yeah, I'm probably about as "dialed in" as I'm going to get without actually riding.

Thanks all!...
Or so I thought!... The boots I bought were shit. Why didn't anyone tell me?

In any event I bought them from a local shop (40 minutes away is local as it gets for me) and the kid that sold them to me didn't know shit. By the time I read Wired's response to Atr3yu about his boots I was like "fuck!".

When I figured out how they should fit and wore them enough that they packed-out they were a full size too big!

That, and that boot (Salomon Dialogue Wide) is a heavy, bulky, over-sized, old-skool, moon boot looking piece of shit! I didn't have the box anymore and I had removed all the tags and was past the 30 day return policy. Not to mention that I bought them on clearance and they were a little scuffed and dirty from fucking around on my 4x4 in the back yard.

Fortunately I went back to the local and the gave took them back in exchange for the Salomon F2.0. Again, a full size smaller. That, and they are super compact, much lighter, and much smoother and even in terms of flex even though they are a med to stiff boot with the same rating as the Dialogue.

So yeah, I'm pumped. Had to shell out like an extra $130 because they were not on clearance, but stoked they took them back.

Now the only problem is I had to completely redo my binding setup. These boots are tiny compared to what I had. I really should have had a medium binding now instead of a large. I had to shorten the straps, pull the gas pedal all the way back, and shift the bindings all the way forward instead of all the way back. That, and the angles felt a little off too so I ended up going 15/-12. Really close to duck. Feels good strapped in though.

Anyway, crisis averted and +1 for the local and the tech that helped me with my boots. Super nice dude, even if he was skier!

The only question I have is in regard to baking my liners to heat form them. The tech said to take them home, strap in and wear them around for 3 days to make sure there was no numbness and that they packed-out just right then bring them back so they can bake them for me. However, nothing I read on the Salomon site or anyway else leads me to believe that the Fusion Liner should be baked. It just says that it forms to your foot over time with body heat. Should I take them in and have them heat molded?

PS: Been wearing them all day!
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote