Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - All mountain/powder friendly board
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
JHeagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbeardsley View Post
I've been riding a burton joystick the last two seasons. I'm not a fan of the channel. I never found that I wanted to change my stance on the fly and I would have to tighten it every time I went up. If I forgot to tighten it my binding would loosen up and it would feel super sketchy.. And I'm only 5'10" 155 lbs.

But I actually just picked up the Ultra dream (158) today! I read some good reviews and went to a ski convention and talked to a bunch of people. The guy that sold me on the ultra dream had just bought one himself. He hadn't ridden it yet but had talked with a K2 rep. The rep said it was the board a lot of K2 employees were using as their go-to, everyday board.

One detail that stuck out for me was the rocker on the tips. I was told that because it's a fairly dramatic curve the edge contact is further back from the front of the board. So it rides shorter in terms of responsiveness, but still floats like the longer board it is.

I haven't ridden it yet, so I can't speak from experience. Hopefully I made a good choice!
Even if I only had to tighten the screws once a day, I just think mentally I'd feel a little sketched out on the channel. On the other hand, my girlfriend got a feelgood flying V last year and I set up her bindings for her. In terms of ease of set up and adjustability the channel does rock. We haven't had to tighten her screws since we set it up, but she only weighs 110 lbs and is not a very aggressive rider.

I've basically narrowed it down to the Ultra Dream and the Pick Your Line at this point. After doing more research and digesting feedback off this site, I've come to the conclusion that they're both awesome boards and I probably can't go wrong. I've been riding magne traction for 5 years now and think it is one of the best technologies to come out. So that's pushing me towards the PYL. I still haven't seen it in person and shitty hurricane is keeping me indoors. Hopefully I'll go see it in a week and be able to make a final decision.
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote