Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Rider for life
Thread: Rider for life
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Clayton Bigsby

Default Rider for life

New to the forum, I can't believe it's taken me so long to find it.

Roger's my name born in Bern Switzerland, moved to Terrace B.C., then south to Washington State, where I currently live in Lake Stevens.

1985-86 was the year that myself and 3 of my best friends (still today) bought our first boards, which was the Burton Woody. Our first time ever on snow with our new boards was at Paradise on Mount Rainer WA. It was our first taste of waist deep powder and for one of us, his first taste of an evergreen tree. He (Mike) ended up breaking his femur, but we were not about to go home or to the hospital with all of this powder, so we threw him the keys and he had to actually sit on his board and surfboard paddle it back to the parking lot. Our second day and still local home mountain MOUNT BAKER of 27 years riding, without ever missing a season.

We competed for a couple years with the help of local board (BIKEWORKS) sponsorship that hooked us up with entry fees, hotel, the use of the shops Toyota van and the use of their company credit card. My two room mates and I were lucky enough to pick up pro sponsors by Burton and Gnu (LIB). It wasnt uncommon to have 50-60 boards in the apartment, everything from experimental models (built by us at LIB), production models and crazy race boards (GNU 213, thats right 213 centimeters, almost 84"). Mike and Peter of Mervin Manufacturing/LIB/GNU are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Back in the day BAKER was and still is known for being the home mtn to many pro riders like Craig Kelly (R.I.P), Jamie Lynn, Mikey Ranquet, Peter Line, Dan Donnelly etc and every Fri/Sat and Sun we'd make powder turns with any one of them.

We've had trips of our lives, cat riding in Idaho, Heli out of Mazama and many, many, many more killer days. Now 27 years later, I can say with all honesty "I AM A RIDER FOR LIFE", my life revolves around riding, my job allows me to leave work when ever I want, which is every dump day.

I currently ride Stevens Pass WA (weekdays only), I can remember a time when Stevens didnt allow boarders, as far as that goes, we got kicked off of the mtn because boarders were not suppose to be there.

My set ups are;

Burton FISH 160 w/Triads
Burton Malolo 161 w/EST Triads
Arcteryx shell and bibs
Black Diamond Guide gloves
Burton Shawn White boots.

So, if you see a gray Honda Element 4X4 w/black Packasport covered in stickers at Stevens/BAKER come over and say hello, but remember if I didnt wait for a guy with a broken femur, I'm not going to wait for you.

Long Live the PNW
Clayton Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote