Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Early season reminders
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
walove
Veteran Member

i dont know the people but i know the line. I skied the same line last october. And turned back off a line last november. The bowl is very tight keeping sunlight out and holding snow for a long time.

the bridgers picked up over two feet at that elevation from wed-sat night. then temps spiked sunday morning. certain aspects had a lingering crust and hoar from the early october snow. (seen in the gnfac video from sphinx mt) When i was out on thursday at the ski area all we could find was unconsolidated snow sitting on dirt grass and rocks.

I guessing similar conditions as when we turned back off a line in the same bowl last november. We hiked on unconsolidated snow from the trailhead to the bottom of the bowl, around 2 miles. Still new snow on the ground and no base. As we started to climb the line to ski the new snow became more wind effected, and deeper. Hand tests had showed that the new snow was ready slide as it was now formed a slab from the wind and was sitting on the old crust. We stopped going up and climbed over a scree ridge and decended on a small protected slope.

conditions change quick, elevation, and aspect change the picture fast. We were aware of where the old snow was because we had been into the area a few weeks before. Once its all covered things get tricky.

heres a video from last year

Last edited by killclimbz; 10-30-2012 at 10:40 AM.
walove is offline   Reply With Quote