Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #2136 (permalink)
MikeIn248

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
  • Seven Springs in PA has 760ft vert and you can make it there in 6 hours tops I think.
  • I think you can get to Whiteface NY in 6 or 7 hours, they have over 3,400' vert which is the longest vertical in the East coast.
That's realistic for Seven Springs in good weather. One thing about it though -- the front of the mountain is something in the 400-500 vertical range. It's the back side that's got the 750. Just be aware if the back isn't open yet, you're not getting the full vertical. Supposedly they've got amazing parks, but I'm not much for the park so I can't comment. (Last time I was at Seven Springs was about 5 years ago or so. Will probably be heading there for 3-4 days later this season.)

No way you're getting to Whiteface from SE Michigan in 6 or 7 hours. 10-1/2 is more realistic. I had a season pass there a couple years back. The problem with getting to Whiteface from Michigan is where you cross back into New York. I tend to cross at Cornwall, Ontario, then approach the Adirondacks from the north. I've done that drive a couple times with the last hour or so in total blizzard/whiteout conditions. Not fun. I've come from the south only when I've been elsewhere first (Pittsburgh or Cleveland).

I've heard people recommend Tremblant from Michigan for the convenient drive (also 10 hoursish). All expressway until the last few miles. But I haven't been there yet.

The Vermont times mentioned are spot on for good weather. For me it's about 11-1/2 hours to central Vermont/Killington (only been to Killington once, but have been to Pico several times). And about 12-1/2 to Sugarbush, where I go somewhat regularly (didn't go last season due to general lack of snow when I had the vacation time). I've driven to VT a bunch of times in a single day. (Last day riding I start home and grab a room somewhere and drive the rest of the way the next day.)

Two other places within striking distance worth mentioning. Holiday Valley and Bristol in western New York. Bristol's about 6-1/2 hours. It has around 1200 vertical. Couldn't give a direct time for Holiday Valley. It's probably quicker to go south of Lake Erie if that's your destination. I used to have relatives living near SUNY Buffalo and would stay with them and do Bristol or HV from their place. I don't have a place to crash there anymore, but have gone to Bristol for long weekends when I don't have the time to go all the way to VT. I personally prefer Bristol to HV,

Last edited by MikeIn248; 10-30-2012 at 10:33 AM.
MikeIn248 is offline   Reply With Quote