Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - BC Roadtrip
Thread: BC Roadtrip
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
RagJuice Crew

Default BC Roadtrip

Hey All. The Mrs and I will be spending two months in Whistler in the new year, and are then going on a three week boarding road trip across BC to Alberta before flying out of Calgary. We have some definite places we want to hit on the way, and a rough idea of a path, but I was kind of hoping you Western Canadian experts can let us know what you think! Are we missing anything, well, unmissable? Are there places we have listed that are worth cutting to spend more time elsewhere? And so on - you get the idea.

We've a RV/campervan (not sure what you guys call them!) booked for the trip, so routes, flexibility or staying on public transport paths is not an issue

I should probably be clear on what we are looking for. I'm an intermediate boarder, my better half is a beginner/intermediate (ex skier), though we will be hoping to progress a lot over the two months before we hit the road. That's more relevant to what we are not looking for than what we are: while we'd love to do a cat boarding, split boarding, backcountry tour of interior BC, we're simply not at that level (yet ) so we'll be sticking to more usual spots. But, and this is the important part, we are not looking for safe, family friendly, "nice" spots. We are looking for those places we absolutely have to go, those places people organise dream trips to visit. It may be their amazing steeps, the wonderful powder, the epic views and locations, brilliant small local hills or just an all round good spot, but it needs to be something special. Think your dream trip ('cos it is ours!), what would you do?

So, basic idea as it stands (you can ignore the Vancouver to Whistler bit, just figuring out mileage etc):

(the order of the route is not set in stone, so for example something like Vancouver to Red, up to Revy, across to Golden/Kicking Horse and Lake Louise, down to Fernie and over to Calgary is also an option - just brain storming based on destinations at the moment)

Revelstoke is an unmissable definite. I've been there, can't wait to go back, and can't wait for the better half to experience it. Fernie is probably an unmissable too - what do people think of it?

Kicking Horse I get the impression is unmissable, but am looking for opinions on. I hadn't really considered Red Mountain until recently but the more I hear the more I like and think we need to really consider it. Thoughts?

What about the Banff three? My thinking: I always considered Lake Louise a definite stop on the trip, mainly because (a) we would be passing by on the Trans Canadian Highway and (b) I was curious to see the place having stopped over night on my to Revelstoke last time I was out that way. From what I hear it's huge and amazing scenery. Similarly, Sunshine has amazing views, while Banff itself (Mt. Norquay) is more a small hill at the town which we could cover in an afternoon or a day - i.e. likely to miss it if we're stuck for time. However, if we're including Red or Big White (or both) and heading to Fernie (originally we were just going to go the Trans Canadian Highway from Revy direct to Calgary) I don't where any of them stand anymore

Is Big White a must visit? Even if we're hitting Red Mountain and Revy? Or should be cut Red Mountain, BW, or both?

Are we missing anything major, or are there some wonderful local hills, smaller spots that it would be a pity to miss out on while we're on the road?

I think the above may be too much in three weeks, so we really need opinions from those in the know so we can figure out our priorities. Sorry it's so waffly, but in case you can't tell we are very excited about the trip! I know we've a lot of question, but really I'm not so much looking for direct answers, more just your take on this. We've done a lot of reading and research, but there's nothing like local knowledge... We'd really value your input in this. Thanks!

PS. Road closures: we're prepared to have to change plans, but given the tight timelines how bad can it get (last week of Feb, first two weeks of March)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg places.jpg (55.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg route4.jpg (173.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by RagJuice Crew; 10-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.
RagJuice Crew is offline   Reply With Quote