Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#1,020 ·
The outback is one exception to the subi family with regards to clearance issues. They have like 12" of clearance and awd. Great vehicle but for the money I'd rather keep my truck cause they are ugly. I'd rather have the wry/sti hatchback with adjustable air ride suspension to jack it up as needed if I went with a subi and wanted the clearance of a truck. You should show the plowed road that sits 1' in front of your car.....

#1,025 · (Edited)
To the rest of you complaining about a car vs a truck vs a jeep vs a suv..

I don't care what you drive as long as you drive for the conditions you are in.

I've seen so many people off the road in every vehicle imaginable because they think their vehicle is somehow outside the laws of physics.

Drive too fast and break/turn too hard... have fun in that ditch. :cheeky4:

EDIT:

To make another point. I don't care what you drive. I will stop and pull you out if my Jeep and/or winch can handle it.

I've missed an avi gate because I stopped to pull a FJ and a STI out of the ditch on 88.

I will gladly add a shitty drive on 50 and a possible night in south lake to my drive if it means getting someone out of trouble and making sure they don't spend the night freezing in a car.

#1,027 ·
To make another point. I don't care what you drive. I will stop and pull you out if my Jeep and/or winch can handle it.

I've missed an avi gate because I stopped to pull a FJ and a STI out of the ditch on 88.

I will gladly add a shitty drive on 50 and a possible night in south lake to my drive if it means getting someone out of trouble and making sure they don't spend the night freezing in a car.
:thumbsup: to you, that's the right attitude. When I lived in SLT, I would always tow people out of ditches or embankments just because it felt like the right thing to do. I even let some college kids crash at my house one night when they flipped their car on it's side near my house during a big snow storm and they couldn't get a tow truck to come out until the next morning.

Still, it was always annoying when I had to help people because their vehicles were clearly not capable of handling the conditions. Be it a front-wheel drive Camry with poorly-attached snow chains, or the (VERY common) SUV on summer tires, it never ceases to amaze just how invincible drivers think they are, no matter the weather and road conditions.

#1,029 ·
Back in 1999 when I was 16 (whoa) I drove a 94 jeep wrangler with half doors and a soft top. I'd buckle my snowboard into the passenger seat every saturday and sunday when I went to the mountain.

#1,033 ·
I've got two choices. 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe or my new 2012 Chevrolet Silverdao. Both of which have no problems dealing with the fluffy white stuff. it's the black shiny stuff that gets ppl into trouble.

#1,036 ·

This 1992 4runner is a fantastic slayer of snow. The people in my building are gonna appreciate this truck when it blazes the path after deep snow storms. It's got the highest clearance out of all the vehicles around it.

This truck is a good off-roader and snowslayer but damn it slow on highways.

I pulled a Subaru out of a snowbank with it. It can drive through lots of snow. It's equipped with big fat tires and four wheel drive. Oh the donuts and drifts it does. It can kick up a lot of dirt and dust everyone. I hate everyone, so I love to dust people. People suck, but I still help them in the winter when they drive something smaller than I do. I have tow ropes and 4x4 traction.

#1,037 ·
Thinking I should throw a rack on top of my 04 G35...

Not really tho I baby that car lol.
I just traded in a 99 explorer sport (2 door) for an 02 explorer with a rack and hitch this year. Should be able to easily fill up a car load of friends now on a trip.

#1,040 · (Edited)

The Hyundai Veloster is a sporty hatch, but it's far from the most aggressive car on the road. Or is it? With a few engine upgrades and new components, Hyundai shows just how mean and race-ready the Veloster can be.

We've already seen what Chrysler and Chevy have in mind for the SEMA Show, and the Velocity gives us a peek into Hyundai's mindset. That mindset is based around some serious pent-up aggression.

"In creating Velocity, we were inspired to take the Veloster’s original concept strengths to their fullest expression," said Chris Chapman, head of Hyundai’s Irvine, California design center. "Velocity gave our design and engineering teams license to take Veloster far beyond everyday production car limitations."
A joint project of the design and engineering arms of the Hyundai America Technical Center in Irvine, California, the Velocity gets pushed far beyond production specs with a no-nonsense, asphalt-skimming body kit. The kit includes front and rear brake cooling ducts, a front splitter, a rear diffuser, an oversized rear wing, aero side skirt lips and race car graphics. A set of 19-inch HRE lightweight racing wheels keeps the car from marking up the pavement below. The body kit is designed to boost the car's aerodynamic performance while maintaining the Veloster's overall look.

The Velocity packs plenty of bite with its bark. Cosworth adds a new turbocharger, performance pistons, rods, intercooler and intake manifold. The Velocity also gets a custom exhaust system. The Veloster's 40-mpg (5.8 L/100 km) claim is certainly out the window on the Velocity, but the upgraded 1.6-liter GDI four-cylinder's output is upped to over 400 hp.

Brembo brakes, Bilstein springs with monotube dampers and Kumho high-performance summer tires ensure that the extra power is properly honed. A Katzkin custom suede interior with roll bar and Race-Keeper video GPS data acquisition system keeps the driver engaged with the road or track ahead.

The Velocity will be on display at the SEMA Show, which takes place in Las Vegas from October 30 to November 2.

#1,041 ·
The Velocity packs plenty of bite with its bark. Cosworth adds a new turbocharger, performance pistons, rods, intercooler and intake manifold. The Velocity also gets a custom exhaust system. The Veloster's 40-mpg (5.8 L/100 km) claim is certainly out the window on the Velocity, but the upgraded 1.6-liter GDI four-cylinder's output is upped to over 400 hp.
A front wheel drive car with a 1.6L engine tuned near the ragged edge of breaking, likely with a healthy dose of turbo lag. Sounds like fun! NOT! :)

At least Toyota is moving away from front engine front drive "sporty" cars with the GT86/BRZ...

#1,042 ·
DUH! I meant to post this one sorry. Still no AWD??

A joint project with Korean aftermarket performance parts manufacturer ARK Performance and several other partners, the Veloster Alpine proves that Hyundai has more than one SEMA vision. This ode to the extreme winter sports lifestyle gets upgrades under the hood and around the interior and exterior.

"Our Veloster Alpine concept reflects the diverse lifestyle versatility we envisioned in the original Veloster concept," Ted Lee, owner of ARK performance, Inc., said in a press release. "This extreme sports coupe concept will appeal to winter sports enthusiasts who love to carve the snow as much as a twisty canyon road."

The car looks like a highway iceberg thanks to its glossy pearl white and blue paint job. While we haven't seen the interior yet, we know that the color scheme continues there, where Alcantara, Italian leather and WeatherTek breathable fabric procured by JPM Coachworks give driver and passengers a cozy cabin to retreat to after a bone-chilling day. The blend of materials was chosen for its durability under wet, GORE-TEX-dripping conditions.

ARK caresses 232 horses out of the 1.6-liter engine with its own performance exhaust system and oil cooler, along with outside upgrades like BTRcc engine bay parts and tuning and a K&N intake system. Other performance enhancements include an ARK performance coilover system, ARK Big Brake Kit and Rays Gramlight 57Xtreme Wheels shod in Nitto INVO tires.

A body kit with bumpers, side skirts, rear wing and fenders enhances aerodynamic performance, and custom headlights and taillights add a distinct set of eyes. A Yakima snowboard rack with included boards :cool: and a set of Rally Armor mudflaps make the Alpine a suitable ride for shuttling to the mountain on any powder morning.

The Veloster Alpine will be on display at SEMA, which runs from October 30 to November 2 in Las Vegas.

#1,043 ·
in Nitto INVO tires.

:cool: and a set of Rally Armor mudflaps make the Alpine a suitable ride for shuttling to the mountain on any powder morning.
Methinks Hyundai/ARK need to go back to the drawing board! :D

I dunno about you guys but I'd rather at LEAST some all seasons instead of Ultra High Performance summer tires on my "powder morning shuttle"!!! :cheeky4:

Now a Celica GT4 raised an inch or so with Nokia Hakkapeliittas... :laugh::D:laugh: and the 3S-GTE can make a decent helping of power. I had an MR2 with almost 300 RWHP running 18 pounds of boost (had a lot of mods but still)

#1,056 · (Edited)
BFG a/t ko. Awesome off road tire, looks sick and does awesome in the snow.
DO NOT USE THOSE FOR WINTER. They are good in slush and fresh snow but next to useless on any ice/crust. The compound is also very hard once temperature goes below freezing they are like pucks.

#1,057 · (Edited)
DO NOT USE THOSE FOR WINTER. They are good in slush and fresh snow but next to useless on any ice/crust. The compound is also very hard once temperature goes below freezing they are like pucks.
Yeah, I use those as my summer tires, and a few days before I changed over to my studs (Cooper Discoverers) I went for a long slide down a bridge, ending in a 180 that nearly took me off the road. No bueno. I don't love the Coopers on dry roads, but they never slide on ice or slick snow. Don't know how they'd be without the studs, though.

#1,067 ·
Great car ToeCutter.... need to fix the stance (for the summer) a little and they look awesome, like this:

I had a B6 A4 Ultrasport and really enjoyed it, but it was getting up there in the mileage and had a few things that needed fixing (AC compressor went out, $1100-1500 to fix) and I said, F this I want something new with a warranty so I don't have to worry about anything for a few years.

Thing was great in the snow though. I had Cooper Weather Masters or something like that on it.

#1,072 ·
I drive a 96 accord with general altimax artic(3rd season this year on them).funny but my car is lowered about 1 1/2" and it can plow through snow to about 2 feet. almost got high centered once in I-90 but was lucky to get away from it:D

#1,077 ·
No you don't.

Which model year do you have?

I'll find you every single accessory you'll need to store more shit than a damn minivan and still be able to take the top of in the summer and enjoy the simple life.

** I love Jeep wranglers!! **

#1,076 ·
WILD COUNTRY XTX SPORT - LT(All Terrain tire)

VERY reasonably priced

Made in the USA

Available in Load Range C and E

CARRIES THE RMA SEVERE SNOW SYMBOL (mountain/snowflake symbol)

This was the only reasonably priced AT tire I could find that had the RMA snowflake symol

#1,082 ·
Here are some pics of my actual car taken by someone else (a stranger) the morning before I took delivery. I was flipping through facebook and ran across it on his blog coincidentally. "Hey, that's my car!"

I like the mirror-like finish on the blue.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/58867_418227914898816_1396022246_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/66252_418227931565481_1374202772_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/314156_418227968232144_1469243904_n.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.