Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2148 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
So,.. All joking aside, I wanted to Thank you Guy's for the info on other "semi local" SB destinations. I've done a quick look at a few of them, still need to do some more in depth research on them.

Of course, the longer it takes me to "pull the trigger" and make my reservations, the more it will wind up costing! Flights, Lodging etc.!

(...if before the end of the year, I can get a couple more mid to large(ish) orders for a little Macro Photography accessory I've designed and have been selling. I might just be able to divert a little of the profit to finally get enough saved for Big Sky! Here's Hoping!!)

Thanks again!
Chomps a lot of those places I mentioned wouldn't be worthwhile to fly to because they're in hard-to-reach cities without a major airport/hub nearby. Especially NY and PA you can get to those places in 6-8 hours might as well drive, it will take you longer than that to drive to the airport, negotiate the security line, board your plane, deboard and pick up your luggage and then rent a car and drive another 2-3 hours to the mountain. Most places even within 11 hours I've done the math and I figure it takes 7 hours to fly there and then you still have to rent a car and drive an hour or two or three more, so you might as well just drive your own self there

On a related note, I wish there was a bridge or a teleporation machine that would whisk you over Lake Michigan, that bitch keeps us so isolated from MN/WI. I'd love to check out some of their hills but at 7-12 hours drive down around Chicago and back up, it's not really worth it. Can you imagine a 4hr drive to Green Bay instead of 8 hours???

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2