Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - steep hill: carving vs. sliding
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
havin_a_ball

Depending on how steep and how much width you have to work with, you may add a sort of "hop" to your transition when doing a braking turn as described so well by Snowolf.

It is almost like the hop feeling you get when carving but you will actually need to jump a bit.

An example that comes to mind is dropping a chute with a long board, where it is too chopped up for me to straightline it out.

I pick my 3 turn spots to get out of the chute, which are on the banks, and come in fast on an edge, do the braking turn but replace the "brake" with a "hop" right after I am past halfway in the turn.

My momentum has already turned so I intentionally hop to get my board around with the result being a tighter turning radius at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Hi ekrina, that is a very common question!

Okay, where you are at in your progression, do not worry too much about doing real carved turns. You need to stick with your skidded turns and start making them more dynamic. The way these riders are able to go straight down the steeper runs under control, is they are making a lot of very short radius dynamic skidded turns. They use the skidding as braking to maintain their speed.

To make what I call a "braking turn", you will add an extra amount of force on the tail of the board at the apex of your turn to deliberately skid the tail of the board. To get comfortable with this technique, pick a run that you are comfortable going down straight lining. As you are riding, initiate your turns correctly using the front foot to torsionally twist your board, engaging the side cut. Follow through with the rear foot once the turn is established.

For the sake of this example, let`s assume you are now on your heel edge. Now, when you board reaches the apex or high point of your turn (say about a 45 degree angle to the fall line)forcefully, extend you rear leg to push the tail of the board out away from you, causing a good skid and a spray of snow. At full extension, bring the board back under you and initiate a toe side turn. Again, at about the 45 degree point, extend your rear leg forcefully to push the board out behind you in an aggressive skid and a spray of snow.

Keep doing this and try to tighten the turns up so it becomes a real quick rhythm back and forth with shallower turns.
havin_a_ball is online now   Reply With Quote