Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ride DH2 or Never Summer Proto Ct
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysergic View Post
Would be getting close to 30 days, so not a whole lot. I love my evo, just finding it a bit sluggish and lethargic on the change in direction, especially compared to riding a shorter board. While the majority of my riding this last season was more freestyle/mountain riding am looking to hit the park more next season, so am prepared to sacrifice a little stability for more functionality in the park.
Well the Evo is a soft park board. If your goal is to learn how to do tricks in the park, I don't really think you need a new board. Since you have only been snowboarding for about 25 days, your money would be better spent on park lessons and lift tickets as you are still at the point where practice is going give you the most improvement. If your goal is to a) get a shiny new board and/or b) want to try and buy your way into park skills... then go get a new board.

In general, you should never need to change directions quickly while riding in the park (that "sluggish/lethargic" feel you get with freeriding a park board... can also be called "stable/forgiving" when you land a trick).

If you really do need to swing the board around quickly, you just did something wrong... like doing a panic speed check before a jump/box... or you really didn't line up the box correctly and not after turn hard to make it onto the box. If you ever pay attention to a freestyle video you will see riders are going straight the entire way through the park, aside from some *really* mellow carved turns to setup their spins.

In my opinion, at your ability level, a shorter board might be a tiny bit easier... but it is also going to let your develop bad habits. You can kludge a 180 with bad form... maybe even a 360... but with that bad form... 540's are going to seem impossible... all because you never took to time to learn proper technique to get the proper mechanical advantage to through a spin or do a boardslide.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote