Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Companies getting organized for BC travel
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Well, by offering the kind of course I am developing, that kind of IS "leading the horse to water" don't you think? Maybe I am getting the wrong impression here, but you seem to be marginalizing the value of the educational services that I am proposing and have already provided to several clients who bought splitboards and wanted to venture into the back country for the first time. One of which was a direct referral from Neversummer. Or maybe you just don't think I am qualified to do it....
Not at all. Don't forget I have been doing the same thing for over 6 years now through a non profit. Educational services are needed, I've never discounted what you are offering. My point is you can only make a suggestion as to what you should be doing. Hopefully they realize that some knowledge is needed. Once someone enrolls in your course, a Level I, goes to a FOBP class, they are taking that drink. Mission accomplished. Getting them in the door is the first step. When I am out on Bert and at other spots that have gang bang areas like Loveland Pass, I always talk to those who are obviously unprepared. Typically give them my FOBP card, let them that we offering free education and encourage them to check it out. That is far as I go and leave it at that. Trying to scare people, tell them what they are doing is stupid, that sort of thing just doesn't work in the field and in most situations. Which certainly I have been guilty of doing online and in the field. If you turn them off, then they are probably never going to seek more knowledge until something bad happens.

AK, I think that the direction is solid. It just seems to tread the line where maybe too much responsibility is being placed on the retailer. Yes they should have some basic knowledge and yes they should encourage awareness and education. Where they draw the line in important though in our sue happy country.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote