Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - So how hard is it to work in Canada as a US citizen?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
OldDog
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default So you wanna work in Canada for the winter eh?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozzz View Post
I'm going to go someplace this winter to ski bum it, and obviously Whistler would be an ideal place to be. However, I have heard it is extremely hard for a U.S citizen to get a work visa there. If anybody has done this or knows what the process for being able to be eligible to work over the border is please help me out.
1. You need to prove that you already have a job to apply or that you have "sufficient" means to support yourself while looking for a job. I think it was a bank balance of $10,500 minimum.

2. You need to be a "skilled worker". This means college degree and skills and/or training and experience that are not available in Canada.

3. It will take at least 6 months if you already have a job lined up. More if you don't. That is with an immigration lawyer preparing all of the documentation and taking care of the details.

4. Part of this process will be the preparation and submission of a Labor Market Opinion proving that your skills are not available within Canada (or atleast the local area). I have a copy of the one that was prepared for me and it was like 25 pages detailing my credentials and the 3 months they searched for someone in Canada before hiring me.

I know all of this because I am currently working in Canada as a "skilled worker" on a 2 year work permit.

In other words, you sir are fucked... It ain't gonna happen. Now if you can line something up "under the table" before you come up, great. But I wouldn't count on finding it once you get here. Most employers won't touch you without a SIN (Social Insurance Number).

Maybe we should sticky this or something so I don't have to keep telling people about how their dreams are doomed to failure?
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote