Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - So how hard is it to work in Canada as a US citizen?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
BigmountainVMD
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozzz View Post
Like SLC? or care to name a few?
Yeah, well if you want to live a short bus ride from the mountains, SLC or the mountains in CO are a great start. Even somewhere between Portland, OR and Mt. Hood or Bend, OR and Mt. Bachelor. Decent sized towns so there is more opportunity to live close but not ON the mountains. This means cheaper rent and more realistic job opportunities. There are also way more mountains (CO and SLC), and everything is more spread out, more people, more job opportunities, etc... As opposed to Whistler which is essentially just a huge mountain village from my experience there.

Plus with your lack of Canadian-ness, it would just be easier to stay in the US. I also agree with the above poster about the snow. It's good, don't get me wrong, but if you want champagne powder, you can't beat Utah. I guess if you wanted the away from everything experience you could try Alaska.

I have friends in Avon and Eagle-Vail, CO that pay a third what I pay for rent here in Philly, all of them have had multiple jobs on and off the mountain (Beaver Creek mostly), and all get to ride most days. Whenever I go visit, I hop on a bus outside their apt for 5 minutes and am at the mtn.

Depending on you, the possibilities are different. You could get a job at a lodge up at Snowbird or Alta in Utah, at a snowboard shop near Vail or Breckenridge, at a restaurant in Bellingham, WA and ride at Mt. Baker or at a friggin grocery store in Bend, OR... there are a million ways to be a ski bum, just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Aim for a quality part time job where living expenses aren't high and you will get your 100 day season in.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-03-2012 at 10:56 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote