Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Lib Tech's, Really worth it??

20K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  I<3snowp0rn 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at either the T.Rice PRO HP and the Dark series. Which would be the "better" board?

6'4"
235lbs
size 13 boots

Riding Style - All Mountain/ Freeride/ Freestyle - Mostly groomers and jumps

List of Sticks wanting to buy this season

Jones Mountain Twin
Burton Custom
Burton Custom X
Capita Totaly F'n Awesome
Yes Pick Your Line
Ride Machete GT

ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Current Shred Stick

161w Battaleon The Jam - Waist width of 265mm

See less See more
#5 ·
OoOoOoh...Well I never thought about that. I just thought they looked awesome. You mean to tell me they actually build boards to specific riding conditions:eek: Wow go figure.

#9 ·
Looking at either the T.Rice PRO HP and the Dark series. Which would be the "better" board?

6'4"
235lbs
size 13 boots

Jones Mountain Twin
Burton Custom X
Signal Omni Wavelength - cant find any significant product reviews on this company and its products
Flow Rush
Yes Pick Your Line
Endeavor Live Reverse Camber - can't find any significant product reviews on this company and its products.
Ride Machete GT

Regrettably, I must say I live a sheltered shred lifestyle when it comes to product placement. I usually live under the notion of " if you see alot of them out there it must be a reliable and trust worthy product" I haven't seen Endeavor or Signal out on my resort
I would actually recommend the 2013 Skunk Ape Horsepower version. Your about my size and trust me this board is the best larger board out. Very light poppy and more aggressive than any other board I tried,

#13 ·
As dumb as this may sound, im not really feeling the graphics on this board. I try to have a connection with my sticks. Just like when you purchase a car or anything else. You gotta have that connection and for me this stick is laking that appeal. Even though spec wise its a kick ass stick.

#14 ·

6'4"
235lbs
size 13 boots

Jones Mountain Twin
Burton Custom X
Signal Omni Wavelength - cant find any significant product reviews on this company and its products
Yes Pick Your Line
Endeavor Live Reverse Camber - can't find any significant product reviews on this company and its products.
Ride Machete GT

Regrettably, I must say I live a sheltered shred lifestyle when it comes to product placement. I usually live under the notion of " if you see alot of them out there it must be a reliable and trust worthy product" I haven't seen Endeavor or Signal out on my resort
Dude. Lib is worth it.(I've had a banana magic, skunk, dark) I've ridden everything from A-Z and I've always gone back lib. I purchased a jones flagship 3 weeks ago, tried to show it some love and returned it to REI and got my money back. Now I got the 13' Travis rice pro hp 161.5. You can't beat that hand built quality you get from lib tech, and they Have pretty sick tech. I hear complains abt the magnitraction, ppl say its too grippy.... I say GTFO and learn to ride better. The only other board i love as much as a LIB is the K2 slayblade. It's a fast, stiff, killer stick. I'm not trying to sway you to go back to lib but they are a good board company that builds great handmade boards.

Other suggestions:
Salomon mans board
Capita BSOD
Jones mtn twin

#18 ·
I ride Roxy. Roxy, Gnu, and Lib Tech are made by Mervin Manufacturing. My board has around 230 days on it. The quality is there for sure. Once I had a discussion about wanting to get a new snowboard with a friend who has a Lib Tech. I said I was going to get a new one when the board dies. He told me they don't die because his last one refused death. He rides more than I do and could break snowboards. Well 230 days and it aint dead yet, so he was right.

I don't know if this happens to other Mervin Boards, but my topsheet started separating a while ago from my tail. I clipped it off and patched the tail with shoe goo. I think if I left it alone, the top sheet would of peeled off from the tail.

#19 ·
have you considered a burton custom camber (muller) or a burton process flying v (sollors) ? as for lib id recommend checking out the Lib Tech Phoenix Series Jamie Lynn C3 Snowboard too, not sure how the sizing matches up though i dont think they have alot of choices but believe me when i tell you this board MOBS!

#27 ·

I'm new to this forum but I've been riding for over 15 years so I've ridden my fair share of boards. I tend to follow the opposite philosophy. Recently I've really fallen for Jones snowboards. The mountain twin is a really nice ride and pretty versatile for what you are looking for. Thecamber is between your bindingd and the rocker is on the outside.of the bindings so it's really nice when landing jumps and has good powder float and you still keep some control on hardpack. Plus Jones just oozes classy snowboarding

#32 ·
if i were you i would go lib. the jones would be better if you rode more powder. but the lib will be good for all around. you could try looking at the dark series too they make those in wide, in quite a few sizes too. you basically just need to pick one, and bring it home. they're all good boards they're pro models and the way you say you ride i would go lib. its good for anything. i ride a lib and my buddy rides a lib, and we shred everything, mostly alpine and trees, but neither of us have anything bad to say about the boards. actually mine has gotten squirrelly on me a few times, tends to happen on hard packed roads that aren't flat. its pretty much like a speed wobble in the centre of your board. other wise it never happens, only then. but if you are as aggressive as you say you are, then you might want to consider a camber board. way better edge hold, one thing i miss about that compared to lib. i can still rip the shit out of it down the groomer, but that edge hold just isn't as stable as camber. (i think there are hybrid boards that are more camber biased, but will minor rocker) and i like to rip it and make nice hard turns and i've blown a few tires on my lib riding to hard, im talkin mach speed. the lib will ride good on groomers, pow, you name it. its a good all around board. but the edge hold is not as good as people say, unless i just ride to fuckn hard :D

#35 ·
So I'm looking at Lib boards too...

Is the difference between all the various "models" with the C2-BTX (T.Rice, TRS, Skunk, etc) mainly variance in materials giving different flexes, pop, etc?

I am a similar rider to the OP in style (groomers, glades, occasional pow, NO park). I'm 5'9", 185 lbs, size 9.5 boot and am considering:

Lib TRS
Lib HotKnife (not sure if the C3 is better for me)
NS Cobra
NS Heritage
GNU Riders Choice
Jones Mountain Twin
Rossi One Magtek

Thoughts/input?

#36 ·
L

Jones Mountain Twin
Burton Custom X
Yes Pick Your Line
Ride Machete GT

I loved the Omni. Full review here:

2013 Signal Omni Snowboard Review

Leo also reviewed the Machete GT:

2013 Ride Machete GT Snowboard Review

#39 ·
You've got a good list going BWayne. I've ridden and enjoyed the Capita BSOD and TFA. The TFA would be great for you in my opinion. It's on the wider side, fast, stable, poppy, good float, etc. A great all around board. The hybrid camber gives the best of both camber/rocker worlds and the 3rd contact point grips really well on hard snow/ice.

#41 ·
The TFA is stiff. Very stiff. It's super fun, but the stiffness is something that should be noted. It's by far the stiffest hybrid I've ever ridden. The BSOD is a little softer than the TFA with a slight setback, but it is a pretty damp ride. Damper than the TFA anyway. The Omni I had was from a couple seasons ago, but it was a blast to ride. It's more middle of the road flex wise. I was about 185lbs when I rode all of these, and I have a size 13 foot. The Omni was the narrowest of the three, but it wasn't unmanageable by any means.

#42 · (Edited)
Reading through this thread, I'm a little confused...

It sounded like you're interested in a board for it graphics? Although I do understand your analogy of buying a car, unfortunately a T Rice doesn't come in different colors.

If you're interested in the T Rice HP, I'd think you'd be interested in the Capita BSOD for it's lightness similarity. The Capita Totally F'in Awesome is heavier than the BSOD, if you don't mind that.

There's a few wide versions of Never Summer boards if any of those tickle your fancy. I think the heritage X was already mentioned.

The Yes Pick your line is a pow directional board, not a twin by any means.

My last word of advice, there's no board that's better than another board. You're buying a board for your riding style...which was already mentioned.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention the hybrid camber profiles will ride completely different also.
Capita and Signal Omni Wavelength style rocker camber profiles look like this:

Lib Tech and Never Summer:

I noticed when riding a 156 BSOD, it actually felt like riding a shorter board because your contact points were around the end of the binding inserts. When riding a 157 T Rice C2 (back in 2010) it felt more like a traditional camber board because the contact points engage like a camber board. So, just another factor to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.