Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need some help with buying my new setup
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
jchaison

Not sure on the board/bindings/boots, but regarding the goggles:

It really depends on where you ride most of the time and what the light conditions are. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we get a lot of overcast/cloudy days leading to flat light. In those conditions, you want an amber or pink/rose or yellow tinted lens with high light transmission (the Oakley Persimmon is good for that). If you board somewhere where you get a lot of sunny, bluebird type days, you'll want something that blocks more light (look into the mirrored lenses). I used to rock Oakley A-frames with Persimmon lenses and they were great, but on really sunny days I went with sunglasses for better glare reduction and healthier for the eyes.

I am also a guy that sweats easily, so fogging was always an issue with cheaper goggles. I went to the Oakleys ($100 vs. $40) and had a big improvement, although after a few years they started fogging more. I am getting new goggles myself and going with Smith I/OX...really sweet, interchangable lenses (big for me up here with our variable conditions) and super-fog free. But also very expensive.
jchaison is offline   Reply With Quote