Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New board/bindings thoughts
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaison View Post
Hi guys...yeah, another new guy looking for opinions on getting a new board.

I'm 5'9", 190 lbs, size 9.5 boot. I ride in the Pacific Northwest (Washington state and Whistler a lot) with an annual trip elsewhere (Colorado, Montana, Tahoe, etc). I've been boarding for 9 years (maybe 15-20 days a season) and consider myself Advanced. I do NOT ride the park...mostly carving on groomers and off into the trees looking for powder (which sucks on my K2 Disciple 155).

After some research and chatting with people at the shops, I've narrowed it down to:

-Gnu Rider's Choice 157.5
-LibTech TRS 159
-NS Proto CT 157 or 160
-NS Heritage 158 or 160

Like I said...basically no need for anything beneficial in the park...just something that will give me the response and control to take it to the next level.

Also...any recommendations on bidnings? I got some Ride Insano boots and am tempted by the Flow NX2-SEs, but still skeptical of the support/responsiveness of the rear-entry system. I am clearly not loyal to any brand but do like the idea of a toe cap.

Sorry to "clutter
" the board, but seeking informed opinions from someone not selling me stuff.

Thanks!
Wow... 190 lbs on a 155 cm board. Unless you are a park-only rider, that is much too small for freeride/powder (there may be others who disagree with me, but in my opinion they are all crappy riders who kick puppies )

I'm 5'9" 150 lbs - I've been riding ~16 seasons at roughly 30-35 days a season and I own the NS Proto 154 and the NS SL 155. If you do zero park, I would take the Proto off (maybe consider the Cobra 161 instead - although I haven't ridden that model yet). I find my SL a little soft for pure freeriding (although I like to take it into the park a lot), so I think a Heritage 160 would be good for you.

Those are my opinions - but be wary of novice/intermediate riders giving "expert advice". Here is some video of me riding the SL 155 (at 145-150 lbs, which is why I think you could step up to a ~160 Heritage/Cobra).

Carving groomers on the NS SL 155 you can see my carved tracks at 1:10.

Assorted clips of me riding an older model SL 155 mainly to convince you that a 160 would not be too long for you at 190 lbs.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-05-2012 at 01:05 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote