Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboard Lessons
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ridethesnow80

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
Wow, just wow. I teach at a small resort in Colorado and that statement is pretty darn false. We have guests that actually come to us because the experience they had at large resorts was bad. Large class sizes, disenchanted instructors, busy hills, etc. The size of the resort DOESN'T dictate whether of not the lesson is basic. The type of instructor does. Typically, a certified instructor is the best way to go since they have put in the education time to get certified. However, I know instructors that whent to all the inhouse training that can teach as well if not better then some certified instructors. At our "small" mountain we teach everything from the basic Level "1-4" lesson using the SAME standards as larger resorts. We also teach "upper" level lessons that cover every type of riding and provided clinics to instructors that explore teaching advance students. In fact, knowing how some of the larger resorts training programs are provided and the "turn-out" that happens in them I would say it is rather easy for a smaller resort to compete in over-all instructor know-how. The only time I would suggest seeking out a big resort is for a specific type of terrain that they might offer that a smaller resort might not have, or a specific instructor one might have been referred to.
I agree I taught at a small resort out east and they always had us doing clinics weekly as well as pushing us to get certified. During the hiring process the supervisors were even telling us that are linking turns need to improve made me realize how much energy some if us where wasting are energy on not doing it right.
Ridethesnow80 is offline   Reply With Quote