Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Technical Shell Jacket Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
Sassicaia
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
MOST people will never need goretex. That's just the way it is. PNW sure. Anywhere else is not cold enough or not wet enough for it to be a factor. I have a pair of the original 32 Joe Sexton pants circa 2009 that STRETCH and are a 20k. Still my go to pant for gnar pow days cause they are still waterproof.

I hate goretex. I have a jacket I got for running in for shit weather and almost never wear it. Its too fucking hot. And it's just a goretex brand tech shell. Literally just the goretex, nothing else. Keeps me dry sure, but when its snowing and 25* out and I start sweating? Fuck that.

I can't figure out whey peoples shit gets wet snowboarding (PNW excepted). What are you doing that you're staying in pressured contact with snow that long that its getting you wet?

I personally will never need anything more than 20k. Then again I get free outerwear every year...
I completely disagree with you (along with virtually every reviewer, user and countless top end manufactures that use the membrane). ANYONE can benefit from goretex. Its second to none for breathability which is critical, so even if you board and it NEVER rains its worth while. HOT?! its a shell and unless the manufacture ads an additional inner lining its not going to make you hot..ever. The fact its a shell is great because you can layer up or down based on your personal preference and weather conditions.

Goretex wont breath well if you dont wash it as the poors get clogged. Running is a sure way to do that quick because you are going to sweat a hell of a lot more then when boarding. You will compound the problem if you wear cotton underneath.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote