Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking for New Board (Cobra, Raptor, Premier F1)
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
He said he would like to get into rails/jumps someday... Thus I am not recommending a freeride board, and am leaning to the softer side of all-mountain boards --> the SL.
I think we basically are on the same page. I agree that if he was only going to have one board - SL would give him the most options to try out different riding styles. However, as I said... if he is stubborn on a two board setup ... then the SL is too close to the Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Yes, I bought a T. Rice just before my 8th season... not my second. And yes, I bought a Proto... when I realized that the T. Rice was TOO STIFF to dick around with the way I wanted to. It's awesome for bombing steeps and hitting big jumps, but IMO, I think it's a bit too stiff/long to be the all mountain play-thing I was looking for (in retrospect, the TRS would have been closer to what I was looking for). And once I had the Proto, I realized I had only a small increase in chatter at high speeds, relative to a huge increase in comfort for presses, boxes and all around playfulness.

I've seen numerous posts on this forum from kids like, "This is my second season, I'm tired of renting gear, I'm looking at the Lib T. Rice pro." I think these kids are being misled and can have much more fun on something a bit more playful, ESPECIALLY if they ever intend on hopping into the park.

If the OP was like "Its my 4th season, I can carve clean lines but my board chatters too much" I would say hop on the Heritage, Premier or even the T. Rice because I happen to think it is an amazing carving machine, but not for someone in their second season.
Yes and yes. It's a good idea to demo for sure.
I also agree here. Travis Rice is a 175 lbs rampaging bull of a professional athlete - what works for him is not going to work for everyone else. On the flipside, though I see kids riding Burton Nug style boards with DULLED edges thinking that they are going to be able to Jib like Jeremy Jones. In my experience/opinion, if you got a true freeride board, than at the very least they would learn how to turn/carve properly. It might be a little harder to do a nosepress or butter, but if you learn the correct technique you could still do it. With a stupid soft board... you can fake a lot of tricks with GAPER-style... which is fine until you take it to a real street-style rail or 30 ft kicker... and then you are going to wreck yourself.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote