Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

SL or Heritage?

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  ShredLife 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All -

I know this is has been asked a lot and i've done as much searching as possible, but just want to get some confirmation.

This season will be my 4th season. I would say I am a decent intermediate rider. Usually hit up local mountains (east coast) and did colorado once (Keyston, A-basin and Vail)...all of which I did fine with. I do a lot of groomers, trees, and just hitting whatever is on the mountain. I don't really ever go to the park, maybe just play around here or there.

So I am sort of undecided between the SL and the Heritage. I'd rather have the freestyle/freeride ability of the heritage, but do not know if I'd be better off with the more forgiving SL. The heritage may be too much board for me?

I have the Evo right now, but its just not damp enough for doing a lot of carving in crud and pow. I will be selling it. Finally, I'd either be buying last years model SL for a good price or this years heritage.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·
it makes the board lighter for sure, snappier in my head at least, and i think you could build a big lego city on it and ride it around.

there is really nothing wrong with the SL, its just that the heritage is better. better for pointing it thru chunder or crud by far. better on landings by a little. better at bombing it - although the SL is very damp.

#5 · (Edited)
Is the Heritage a lot more stiff than the SL? Although I do like to just do downhill carving and taking what the mountain has, I don't do anything crazy backcountry freerides. On the other hand, I just don't go to the park very often. ALso, don't see POW very often as well.

So, I don't want to feel like I'm lugging around on a serious board that I cannot control or is "too much board" and not have it be fun.

I hope that makes sense...

#6 ·
makes sense - but no, the heritage is not much stiffer. it is snappier, more responsive. the sl is a little mushy in its dampness, the heritage is not. if THAT makes any sense :p

heritage is faster too..

they have two boards stiffer and more freeride oriented than the heritage in the lineup...

#13 ·
haha, I'm pretty sure I am getting rid of the Evo. Its a 153 and I def want to get a more stable board. Like I said, I hardly ever go to the park and after a trip to Colorado a yr ago, I just fell in love with "free riding" and just taking on what the mountain has in its natural environment. So, I want to have a board that can handle those trips as well.

#17 ·
If the majority of your time is East Coast with an occasional trip out west, the SL can handle that fine.

Arbor Coda is fun, with griptech (flatbasing on ice might seem a little sketchy).

But if it's build quality you want, the SL can handle Colorado just fine.

What about something from Smokin? Bulletproof construction people say. A mellow version of Magne. 3 year warranty.

I have my eye on a superpark. Perhaps when I find one on sale

#22 ·
Let me pose some questions so I can understand what you're looking for

What makes a board freeride category to you?

What don't you like about the EVO? Can you freeride it?

I was looking at the the neversummer website and it sounds like you're picking boards based on category. I don't see why you would not go with a Heritage. Why do you think it is too much board for you?

#21 ·
I had a SL and it was one of the best boards I've ever owned. Fun, versatile, fast, and never let me down. That said, the Heritage has been my go-to board the most the last couple seasons, but that's because of the terrain I ride. If you want to have 2 boards, the Heritage will provide more contrast. Another option is to get the SL and recoup a few bucks by selling the Evo. The SL can do it all.

#27 ·
tbh for the purposes of this discussion it doesn't really matter if the cobra is closer to the sl or the heritage in terms of flex and/or dampening.

i just looked at the ns site and it looks like the flex/dampening is the same as the sl so i was wrong: the cobra is a lighter weight sl (cobra has carbonium) with a more pow friendly shape (bigger nose, lowpro kick, "spade tail")

it really is more of a pow board than either the sl or heritage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.