Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Union Hijack
Thread: Union Hijack
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
matty19

While I joined this forum a couple of years ago, I'll admit that I only recently came back and started posting again. The "contest" made me curious, although I'm not trying to win a pair of bindings. I'm not a kid who is going to post in 100 threads - I don't have the time or inclination for that.

I am surprised by the amount of brand loyalty I see on snowboarding forum. Personally, I own boards from three different companies and binders from two. There are a bunch of other manufacturers that I've tried and loved, and a few that weren't the best fit for me.

While I do have some c3 products, I have no intent to advocate for them vs anything else. There simply isn't any absolute truth about any one company's products being the "best". In my opinion, Union bindings aren't outdated or crappy. I find them to be bomb-proof, comfortable, and responsive. I also find Burton bindings to have similar qualities. I've heard really good things about flux and rome, and I'd like to try out raiden. RIDE makes some nice bindings. Flow and Gnu aren't really my thing, but that doesn't mean that they're "bad".

In calling for some people to come over here and contribute to a few threads, I think that the "sales manager of c3" was really advocating for some more temperate voices to inject themselves into the discussions that can quickly devolve into fanboy nonsense.

No matter what a rider's level of experience, I fail to see that they would have the ability to do anything other than share their personal experiences with the equipment that they've used. Any blanket statements about a brand's quality or usability seem like so much hyperbolic or bombastic nonsense to me.

One of the truly great things about snowboarding will always be the freedom that it can allow those of us who have the opportunity to participate. When we ride our boards, we're not saving lives or solving the world's problems. We're just having fun. As long as it doesn't interfere with another person's stoke, there is no wrong way to do that. Personal preference in riding style, location, or gear is just that: PERSONAL PREFERENCE. All major manufacturers make solid gear. All major manufacturers have solid tech. While one person may prefer auto tensioning toe straps or tool-less adjustability, another may prefer something that prioritizes simplicity and durability. Neither preference is "wrong"...