Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Purchase Help!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
matty19

Because of your affection for speed and carving, I'd stay away from pure rocker boards. A straight camber board is better for that (tracks more easily at speed, edge locks into a carve more firmly, etc). The hybrid camber boards are somewhere in the middle, and many are tweaked to be more aimed at freeriding (often directional shapes, a little stiffer flex, probably not super fun on rails), all-mountain (jack-of-all-trades: decent float, can charge and carve, playful and forgiving enough for the park - but there are better purpose-specific boards for each application), or park boards (soft, forgiving, often lower-priced and made of more inexpensive materials). Burton's Flying V, NeverSummer's RC, YES/Jones/Nidecker's CamRock, Lib Tech/Gnu's C2, and Capita's Freeride FK are all examples of hybrid camber. The idea is to get the playfulness and pow float of rocker, while still getting some pop, straight-line tracking, and carving ability from camber.

Some manufacturers have also started to make flat, zero-camber boards. The Capita Midlife and K2 Happy hour are good examples.

I agree with the recommendation of the Burton Custom. It's the board that defines the "all-mountain freestyle" category for a lot of people. Always a dependable choice. I also like the Machete. You may want to check out the GT version for a little lighter weight and more pop. I'm unfamiliar with the Rossignol Magtek.

You might also want to consider:
The LibTech TRS
Gnu Riders Choice
Capita Midlife, Outdoor Living, and Defenders of Awesome
K2 Happy Hour

Lots of great boards out there these days!
matty19 is offline   Reply With Quote