Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for an affordable wax iron

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  matty19 
#1 ·
I looking into getting a wax iron just not looking to spend a ton of money?! Just ordered up some hertel wax last night for a wicked good price. Just need an iron and scraper and base cleaner! Thanks for the help

#2 ·
I used a cheap Walmart Iron for years without any issues. Find one with no steam holes if possible. Find the setting that melts the wax but does not make it smoke and mark the spot....you may even go a little less after it heats up. The main thinig with a cheap iron is that it seems to fluctuate in temp more than a traditional ski iron.

OT...I noticed you were from Minnesota. A good friend of mine, my primary and most reliable boarding contact, is moving to Mound. Duty calls out there for work. I don't know anything about the area, and neither does he. Is there anything decent in the area? It looks to be close to Minneapolis. He is not a park rider, just enjoys bombing along...

#7 ·
I used to use a goodwill-found iron, but switched to a purpose-specific iron a couple of years ago. For me, it was worth it. I feel like I can get a cleaner, smoother finish on the wax, which lets me use less and still get full coverage. All of this leads to a faster, easier scrape. Just my experience/opinion.

I have the swix "t75fx", which appears to be the "fx" now. I've also used last year's burton iron. It was very similar. I wonder if theey might be made in the same factory?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.