Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What’s up? Long time wake-boarders, newbies to snow boarding
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
J-hoe

Default What’s up? Long time wake-boarders, newbies to snow boarding

Just moved early this spring to an hour outside Denver. Our epic local passes just showed up so I figured we better order some boards. I did a bunch of research from what people have posted here on the forum which has been very helpful.

The Yakima is ready to go and we will pass through Denver and probably head to Breck most of the time.

We have wakeboarded for quite a few years on and off. I have a bit more experience riding than she does. I say we are both beginners….I can ride switch, maneuver around on groomers just fine, 180s, and surface 360s (when going pretty slow). She doesn’t ride switch much, yet. She can make her way down the mountain only slowing down to ‘take a seat’ as she is still working on mastering stopping.

A few questions about gear….(should I move this to a different post?)

I have my eye set on a Lib Tech TRS 157. I weigh 170lbs and shouldn't be putting much weight on. I wear a size 12 shoe (measured my foot at 11 1/8”). We primarily ride groomers. I like to get a little air when I can and if there is some sort of park for beginners, then I think I might want to check that out. I like to cut hard when carving. Does the TRS 157 sound like a good choice?

Can those who ride Breck frequently, suggest which Oakley lens to go with based on the weather that you usual encounter there? Or should I look for a lens for blue bird days to start? It seems like blue iridiums are a popular suggestion. I love polarized lenses on the water, should I look for polarized for the mountain as well or is that too much light removed/can’t see the terrain well? I was also looking at Smith so I am open to suggestions for their lenses.

For women’s’ boards… she is 5’3”, ~115lb, and wears a 6.5 shoe. Do we have to shop for women’s boards specifically or will a men’s board work just as well as long as the size works? Does a 140 board seem about right for her or should we go slightly higher, 142 or so? We tried finding 140s, but they seemed hard to come by. Women’s boards also seemed to be much softer. Should we be looking for a softer board because she doesn't weigh as much or are we just not looking in the right stores?
J-hoe is offline   Reply With Quote