Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What was your most expensive injury? also, Do you have insurance?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
OldDog
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Taxes are a little higher but well worth it.
Meh, as an American working in Canada the taxes are a lot more than a "little" higher. It's not so much just the income tax, but the sales tax is double, gas is 40% more, food is retarded (I mean who the fuck pays $10/lb. for cheese?). My rent is double, and even mailing a letter is 6x as expensive as the states.

As for healthcare, it's not free. It costs about the same monthly for the provincial plan and my supplemental as it did for my previous employer's group plan in the states. My employer pays for my provincial plan, but it damn sure isn't free.

Free healthcare is a misnomer. The only real difference is access to care and lack of all the private insurers and their fucking profit margins. However, it seems to be moving more and more that way here as well.

Albeit major medical is covered at 100% under the provincial plan. Try finding a 100% coverage plan in the states these days, maybe 15 years ago. Actually my coverage was 100% for everything but dental back in '95 and it cost me $80/month. Ah, the good 'ole days. Fuck! I'm getting old. You damn kids the hell off my lawn!...

PS: Had to say something, I've never had a snowboarding injury as I'm just starting this year!
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote