Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never summer sl 2012 - detune? Beginner
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
phony_stark
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
OK guys...
So i'm a beginner but have wakeboarded, skated and skiied for years so anticipate progressing quickly. I have snowboarded for 1 day in total and can link turns (wouldn't say carving yet) both sides and am comfortable on most runs. Will be doing mainly groomers with some park - jumps only.

I'm going over to france in a few weeks for the whole season and have decided to snowboard primarily whilst there, a good opportunity to really get into it!

I have bought a Never Summer SL 2011/2012 158 new (clearance sale) in store and burton cartel bindings.

My first question is... am I mad to start out with this board? I really can't afford to buy several boards and I didn't want a beginner board that I would outgrow within a few weeks of the season. Am i about to eat dirt/bruise my ass for 4months?

Secondly... I dont fully understand what people are talking about but I aware that the board comes with 0 bevel. As such many people seem to detune the edges of the board - or at least the nose and tail before the contact area. I was hoping to ride the board out of the bag with no real changes - I will just wax it regularly throughout the season.
Should I be looking at detuning or changing the edge?
Nah, you'll be fine on that board. It's got a hybrid Reverse Camber shape and is mid flex.

To understand beveling (I'm assuming base) there are links on this board, but a quick way is to make two "L"s with your fingers (paper football style). Those L's, as they are, are a 0 bevel with your thumbs being the base and fingers being the edge.

Tilt just your thumbs toward the floor and you've made a base bevel, point just your fingers toward each other and you've made an edge bevel, point both and you've made a base and edge bevel.

Having a base bevel on the board causes the board to take a smidge longer to engage which reduces the chance of catching, when you're doing stuff. I like a one degree on the base, and one degree edge to keep things a little sharp, but wouldn't even mind just a one degree base.

All that being said, I think you can probably ride the board out of the bag with no problems and, if anything, will help you learn edge control and make you a better rider. Although I had WAY more fun after detuning the tip and tail, because eating shit because of those is something that can and should be avoided.

Remember, 90% rider 10% gear.

Last edited by phony_stark; 11-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote