Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never summer sl 2012 - detune? Beginner
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bones
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
Secondly... I dont fully understand what people are talking about but I aware that the board comes with 0 bevel.

Should I be looking at detuning or changing the edge?
The zero bevel means that the edge base bevel is flush to the snow and the side bevel is 90 degrees to that. A lot of manufacturers bevel the base slightly (1 degree or so) so that the edge is slightly lifted off the snow. This reduces the edge from catching when you slide sideways. Park riders tend to like a higher base bevel so that they slide easier with no edge catch on rails, etc.

My personal opinion is this: you're a new rider. You will catch edges no matter what the base bevel is. Filing off metal will not save you from doing this. As you get better, you will have more subtle control over your edge angles. When you get to that point, you may have developed a personal preference for edge angles and then you can adjust things in 0.5 degree increments until you get what you want. It is very easy to increase the base bevel angle, but it is difficult to reduce it.

The rocker shape of the SL will save you from many an edge catch simply because the contact points are lifted off the snow.

Just ride it out of the box, learn, enjoy, get better. Post again when you've got 20-30 days under your belt or are carving.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote