Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#1,086 ·
I have posted a pic, but I thought I'd grab a few more showing off the new rubber, plus you guys were talking about that sexy blue.

I noticed someone having a hard time fitting 3 people and gear into a Jeep Cherokee. My 2 door civic fits 3 easy with all the gear on the INSIDE, handles well and she looks good doin it!

I like all your prettty German cars too :D

Some asshole gave me a vicious door ding..

#1,088 ·
Not really, 1/3 of the back seat folds down to allow boards thru, plenty of room for gear in the trunk. Not much legroom but its got plenty lateral room to stretch out back there. Its not spacious but I sure LoLLed when someone was complaining about fitting 3 people with gear into an suv.

It's pretty rare that if there are this many of us going I am the one to drive. Last time kid had a CRV with bald tires in a storm...wasn't about to put my life in his hands lol.

#1,089 ·
Somehwere in this thread I'm pretty sure is my car. But in case it isn't, my lean, mean, mountain machine is a '94 Geo Prizm. I keep a set of chains in the trunk, just in case, but I have yet to actually put them on. I did have to put on a pair of cables that I had beofre the chains, but only due to a State Patrol checkpoint. You can all laugh and mock if you want, but I can guarantee you that I can drive my little 4 door FWD car in any storm, anywhere, unless MASSIVE flooding is involved. :D And I have fit 4 people plus gear in it. Of course, that was pre-subwoofers. ;)

#1,103 ·
S's do amazing in the snow, even fairly deep stuff.

I used to have an '01.5 (B5) S4 and I loved driving up to the slopes with it. With the blizzaks on you truly had to make a concerted effort to ever lose grip with the road, and that was when I was pushing nearly 400 whp. Loved driving it, hated the maintenance costs so I got rid of it and now my boarding rig is my old '97 F 150. In about a year I'm going to be facing the tough decision of ordering a new B8 S4 or picking up a clean B5 and going all-out with a 700 whp build.

#1,117 ·
2010 Chevy silverado crew cab with a topper. fantastic snowboarding/outdoor adventure vehicle. tons of room inside, tons of storage in the back and never shall the twain meet lol.

not the greatest on gas but not horrible either. I get about 21mpg usually. never stuck, never worried about it, never have gear packed in so tight i can't fit people in the truck.

#1,123 ·
I shall re-enter the thread again with my awesome honda civic because you are all such big fans of it!

Relevant:

2600lbs
180 hp
8k rpm limit
30mpg

3rd gear 75mph over the passes bitches :cheeky4:

slower than a grandma in inclement weather (driver induced) :eek:

#1,126 ·
You do know that no one believes you or cares, right?
Don't let them put you down! As guy who drives a geo prizm to the mountains, I appreciate someone who has the skill to make a little car work in the snow.

Throw some chains on and put a hundred pounds of sand in the trunk and my four banger gets me where I need to go in the snow.

Now keeping speed over the passes, thats another story...:thumbsdown:

That being said, a taco might be in my future should I not be able to pass this years emissions test.

#1,154 ·
i understand what your saying. and i do place them even with the rear axle and no more than 2 bags about 60lbs each. it sligthly evens the weight all together plus driving smartly helps. though an all wheel drive would be better,financially its unaffordable:( i do have a GMC Jimmy 4WD but thats the wife's daily driver and mine is better on gas mileage:laugh:

#1,159 · (Edited)
Coming from a professional driver with 22 years and almost 2 million miles of accident free driving semi pulling double trailers in the PNW and western Canada in every condition possible, I can unequivocally confirm that this generalization has a flip side. I have seen just as many if not more dumbasses in 4X4 pickups and big SUV's driving like idiots, crashing, closing the road and usually killing someone else in the process! When these people fuck up it usually is more spectacular and keeps your road closed for a much longer time.

It's the Indian, not the arrow. Skill and common senses trumps equipment every time. Having said that, I drive a pickup when not driving a semi and in deep unplowed snow it is a better tool for the job than a small car. The problem I see with the average pickup and SUV driver is they think they are invincible and overdrive their skill level and that if the vehicle.

On a plowed icy road, I actually think the small FWD car handles better than a large heavy pickup with a high center of gravity. It all comes down to the driver.

Which brings me to this shit storm with Snowklinger and comeback. Comeback, we have had this conversation before in this thread a few years back. Your tone is always caustic and incendiary. You seem to start fights in almost every thread you become engaged in. Do us all a favor and think about other people may react and tone it down. Not every post has to end with "you idiot" ( even when you don't write it your tone still says it).

Snowklinger, don't react, respond. It's cool that you are so capable navigating your car on these shit roads but don't let someone who disagrees with you in a trollish manner allow you to loose your control and stoop to that same level in your responses. There are plenty of people who will agree with you that your car is just fine in the snow and plenty who will not. If it works for you that is all that is important. Personally up here because of the depth and density if our snow, combined with the fact ODOT is incompetent at plowing roads, I feel better in a heavy high clearance truck.

Keep it in perspective folks. Bottom line is we are talking about a chunk of steel and plastic with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to point B. The rude you are defending to the death is going to a pile of scrap metal in the junk yard soon and you will have long forgotten it. This thread has had a long run; it would be a shame to lock it down because folks can't act like adults and treat each other with some respect.

I have never understood the level of passion people have over car talk....:dunno:
I'm scared to death when its wet and cold out. Fear > skill imo lolz

I need a truck for bc and summer trailhead access, but CO just makes too much money to allow resorts to be inaccessible (so it seems).

I apologize for stooping to the level that was brought.

As I have stated, all I wanted was to play with the other kids.

Its hard to imagine responding differently to someone telling me that my humble possessions "are nothing to be proud of". That set me off and just because you tell me to chill and I'm chill, well....its BS.

I'm not trying to get in the last word and I appreciate the heads up, but when fools come at me, there will be some lame ass bullshit for sure. I defend my cave and fire.

geo drivers know wassup haah :laugh:

#1,160 ·
Coming from a professional driver with 22 years and almost 2 million miles of accident free driving semis pulling double trailers in the PNW and western Canada in every condition possible, I can unequivocally confirm that this generalization has a flip side. I have seen just as many if not more dumbasses in 4X4 pickups and big SUV's driving like idiots, crashing, closing the road and usually killing someone else in the process! When these people fuck up it usually is more spectacular and keeps your road closed for a much longer time.

It's the Indian, not the arrow. Skill and common sense trumps equipment every time. Having said that, I drive a pickup when not driving a semi and in deep unplowed snow it is a better tool for the job than a small car. The problem I see with the average pickup and SUV driver is they think they are invincible and overdrive their skill level and the actual capability of their vehicle.

On a plowed icy road, I actually think the small FWD car handles better than a large heavy pickup with a high center of gravity. It all comes down to the driver.

Which brings me to this shit storm with Snowklinger and Comeback. Comeback, we have had this conversation before in this thread a few years back. Your tone is always caustic and incendiary. You seem to start fights in almost every thread you become engaged in. Do us all a favor and think about how other people may react and tone it down. Not every post has to end with "you idiot" ( even when you don't write it, your tone still says it).

Snowklinger, don't react, respond. It's cool that you are so capable navigating your car on these shit roads but don't let someone who disagrees with you in a trollish manner allow you to loose your control and stoop to that same level in your responses. There are plenty of people who will agree with you that your car is just fine in the snow and plenty who will not. If it works for you that is all that is important. Personally up here because of the depth and density of our snow, combined with the fact ODOT is incompetent at plowing roads, I feel better in a heavy high clearance truck.

Keep it in perspective folks. Bottom line is we are talking about a chunk of steel and plastic with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to point B. The rude you are defending to the death is going to a pile of scrap metal in the junk yard soon and you will have long forgotten it. This thread has had a long run; it would be a shame to lock it down because folks can't act like adults and treat each other with some respect.

I have never understood the level of passion people have over car talk....:dunno:
You are right (except for your lack of passion about cars, we should ALL have that ;). Anyways, some people clearly take the opinions of strangers on the internet waaaay too seriously and it really hurts their feelings. I'll be more reticent of that.

Always a pleasure hearing from you SnoWolf.

PS-Thanks for your posts about riding backcountry in AZ (I think it was your posts anyway), my buddy and I took a couple of hints from one of your threads last year and found some sick powder 3 days after a big snowfall. Good lookin out. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.