Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Toes immediately numb
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
Thanks guys.

Yep im using the thinnest smartwool phd's snowboard socks.

I did get them real tight on the rec of all 3 guys in the shop... saying they'd pack out nicely. I heat molded them after day 1. even after the molding my feet go numb.

How much do those super feet go for? I really don't wanna spend any more money and nothing happens..

I do crank down on the laces. the boots are already pretty tight maybe i wont even tie down teh "lower zone" at all and see what happens. LOL i also crank down on my bindings, maybe i wont do that either It just sucks that my day is pretty much ruined by noon because my feet are in excruciating pain.

so snug but slightly loosened, i tried that on one run but my calf part of my leg was moving too freely for my liking....

Why would those super feet insoles help at all by the way?
If you have dual zone, tighten the upper laces, but leave the lower laces pretty loose (that's what I do). In general, you should never need to crank down on your laces (that implies the heel of your boot is too wide for your feet and you are trying to compensate for that by over-tightening the laces. Try adding some C-pads to the outside of your liner to fill in the space... else buy new boots). If you boot actually fits you, then you shouldn't be able to pull the laces just "snug tight" you shouldn't get any heel lift if when you bend your knees.

Similarly, cranking down on your straps also implies your bindings don't fit your boots. If that' snot the case, then you are just using it as a psychological crutch. Again the bindings should only need to be snug against your boot... not boa constrictor tight.

A custom footbed (a stock superfoot to a lesser degree) will cup your heel and arch better... giving you better contact with boot (people tend to over-tighten their boot when they subconsciously feel the lack of good contact with the boot). So what comes in your boot is about 2mm of generic foam (utterly useless). A aftermarket footbed like a superfoot is a little better... but you really should go for a custom footbed like Superfoot Cork or Sole Supports. The cost a lot $180, but they last several years and you can use them in all your shoes/boots - so it ends up being less than $1 a day of use.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote