Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never summer sl 2012 - detune? Beginner
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
jdang307
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
So I'm in for a rough ride? Sounds like I should strap up the wrists for the first week or so then ha
I learned on a stiff cambered Technine deck. Don't worry about it. Just ride it.

The SL was the first premium board I bought. I bought it after about 15 days total on the snow. It is not too much board and actually improved my confidence big time. It was softer than my Technine but smoother (damp) while riding.

Proper turn initiation and no whipping of the back leg will decrease the scorpions big time. I've been taken down hard on the RC profile. Not blaming the profile, it was me being sloppy and tired, on an Evo. Ever since I learned proper turn initiation the caught edges almost disappeared. If you initiate the turn properly, the downhill edge is in the air so it is less susceptible to getting caught in the snow.

Once you learn to link turns and are comfortable going down the mountain. Go to the beginners area, and take your back foot out of the binding (stomp pad helps) and just turn with only the front foot. You'll probably fall a few times, but it'll teach you to initiate turns with your lead foot.

Another thing I did to teach myself was to lean forward into my front foot, and into the turn slightly. That teaches you to not lean back on the hill (which is bad) and to focus on the front, not back foot.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote