Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Your Snowboard Vehicle.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #1189 (permalink)
ComeBack_Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Stoked about your getting the goodies! Kachina Peaks Wilderness has intense terrain and if you time it right, the snow can be epic. Just be careful and follow good BC protocol as the San Fransisco Peaks are the real deal and produce devastating avalanches. That one down Abinaeu Canyon a decade ago was biblical in it's destruction!

Inner Basin out to Lockett Meadow is the shit for splitboarding. My short term goal though it to drop off the north side of Humphrey's into Abinaeu Canyon. Have to arrange sled support for that one though!
I was surprised at how sick the snow was, considering:

a) I never knew AZ had legit backcountry riding (or any kind of riding, really)
b) how bad a snow year it was for everyone out West

My buddy knew the area well, and after I pointed him to your posts, he came up with a plan. 2 days later, we were snow-shoeing up with our boards in tow... I don't know the area and it was my first time riding in AZ, but I think it was on the same mountain as Snow Bowl, but maybe a different side? Anyways, it was a nice half-day adventure and the ride down was EPIC. So much untouched snow, a little crusty on top, but surprisingly fluffy underneath. The tree run section of our ride down was siiiiick! The hike out wasn't even bad either.

Anyways, not to digress from the topic of the thread, but thanks again for the insight, we had a great time.
ComeBack_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote