Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Two Snowboarders stuck on Rainier
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

There is also the point that a lot of stuff people are doing is not considered risky until it becomes that. Going for a hike in the woods, twist, break and ankle, that sort of thing. These guys being on Paradise on Rainier is definitely not out of the ordinary.

Other people yeah, they do really stupid stuff. Going for long hard hikes without food, water, or proper gear, that sort of thing.

I know it's hard when you see so many that are just oblivious to the situation they are in until it hits the fan. I hate that person too. Deciding who is going to pay and not going to pay for their rescue is a slippery slope. One could argue, just by going out there, you are engaged in stupid reckless behavior and that you shouldn't be there. That doesn't really work for me either. Backcountry wilderness is there to be enjoyed in all seasons. Otherwise the only logical thing to do is stay locked up in your house.

All said and done, I like the SAR Card program and more areas should use that model. Tacking it on to Hunting and fishing license alone would be a huge boost for S&R costs. H&F is big business.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote