Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Technical Shell Jacket Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #93 (permalink)
Lamps
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles1717 View Post
Aside from the some of the silliness in this thread, it's actually been really informative. Thanks everybody.

One question though. On Burton's site, they list the AK 3L Hover Jacket as using two different GoreTex fabrics depending on the color. The "Acid and True Black" colorways are listed as using GoreTex Pro, and the "Schwag and Bluebird" colorways are listed as using GoreTex Soft Shell. Now, none of these 3L Hover jackets have liners or anything, so is there really going to be a noticeable difference between, say, the Hover Jacket in black or the Hover Jacket in blue?

Here's the link to Burton's Hover jacket page.
The fabrics are slightly different but same performance in terms of breathability. The backing on the pro shell is flat, almost same as the exterior, whereas the soft shell backing is a very very thin, fleecelike layer and the material is slightly more supple. It's worth having both in front of you to see the difference. Most years they do four colours, two in each material, same as this year.

I don't think that the soft shell is supposed to be warmer, just a little softer and more comfortable.

Personally I prefer the pro-shell, it feels tougher, and it's not like you wear it without a base layer. I could see the soft shell for pants if you weren't wearing a base layer. Oh, and I think that the women's ak 3L are always done in 3L soft shell but not certain.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote