Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bindings with no shortcomings!?

6K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  B(F)Dkid55 
#1 ·
Ok I'm getting a new board which this forum helped me narrow down some good choices. Gotta slap some bindings on it! I'm looking at the Ride Machete and the Never Summer Heritage.
Right now I have Salomon Dialogue boots size 9 from 2006 that I think I'm fine with unless there is some reason to change. I'm 5'9 160 lbs so looking in the 154-157 range of boards.

So all that being said, it seems the questions in bindings are comfort, weight, and function. So what are some beast bindings that make sense for me (freeride/all mountains not heavy in that park but i dabble) that have great comfort and strong ratchets that don't get criticized for slipping. Don't want to spend more than necessary just to spend, but want to know what the best are regardless of that.

Thanks!

#7 ·
They're like a "super park" binding, and have tech that allows you to run your binding a little looser than usual. This year's straps are also more cushiony in comparison to the Cartel's react strap.

You'll be fine on either, really. It's preference.

Nico Muller runs Vitas, and if they're good enough for him, they're probably good enough for you. Same thing with the Union Contact Pro, if they're good enough for Gigi, they're good enough for you.

#8 · (Edited)
How many days have you had on those Salomon Dialogues? 6 years is a long time. I used to permanently crease my Dialogues at the ankle joint in like 20 days (REI would replace them for free)... admitted I was over-tightening them because my heel was too narrow for them (switch to Nitro boots which have a slimmer heel profile and now I only tighten to just-snug).

Bindings... ah well... I did like my Burton C60, in my opinion there were not actually that stiff (I'm 5'9" 150 lbs). Here is me freeriding in them on a NS SL 155 (just so you get an idea of what they can do)

Then here is me dabbling in the park on them.

Actually though... there are not the most comfotable binding (the ankle strap is a little stiff). I switch to CO2 (guy was selling them NIB for 60% off) at the end of last season and they are better (no videos of me riding in them). Unfortunately Burton bindings are pricey.

I had two pairs of Rome bindings (390 and 390 BOSS), they I found them to be too soft for free-riding in my opinion. I've ridden Cartels and they are pretty good (prefer my CO2 though) although some people may not like the highback (I don't mind tall highbacks). Ride CAD and Ride Spi were a bit bulky and heavy to me (only rode them 1-2 runs though).

#12 ·
aren't they both 7's? maybe they had to make the malavita highback stiffer to accomodate the heel hammock better? If people ride their straps looser because of the hammock, maybe they need a stiffer highback to offset it.
but whatever, I think both bindings do the same thing

#19 ·
I made it into the Burton flagship store in LA before thanksgiving and according to the guys in the store, the 2013 Cartel highback has enhanced torsional flex but is as stiff and responsive as ever when pushing straight back into it. That combined with the usual level of stiffness in the baseplate is apparently why they still rate the 2013 Cartel stiffer overall than the 2013 Malavita. This is for both Reflex and EST versions.

I ended up getting the 2013 restricted reflex malavitas with the wing highback. Sweet binding and the highback did not feel stiffer than the cartels in any direction to me but this was just in the store and I did not analyze it too closely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.