Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Lessons - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
OldDog
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCH View Post
My .02

If you are going to buy your own gear, get it now. Familiarize yourself with your equipment, do some carpet boarding. Watch video's, Snowolf has a great set on his youtube. If you get snow where you live, go to the sledding hill, try to apply what you saw in the video's. Learn to skate! Then go to the resort and take a lesson. This will save precious time and allow the instructor to teach you how to ride rather then fucking around with your bindings.

Do not think wake, completely different. Wakeboards don't flex, using the edges requires different weighting and balance, more weight towards the front not the back (unless riding knee deep powder, that's for later lol). Also shoulder/hip position are different, on wake your shoulders are squared up forward, on snow you point your lead shoulder where you want to go, this also means you are not twisting at the hips. I find myself riding wake one handed a lot more because of this.
^This is exactly what I'm doing. Watched all kinds of vids including SA and the wolf's. Lots of carpet and lawn boarding, and I spent 3 hrs on the sled hill this weekend. I plan to take a private lesson for 1 - 2 hrs day 1 then get after it. I may take another in the future if I feel stuck or that I'm not progressing.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote