Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Spine protector benefits?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SnowDragon 
#1 ·
Hey guys I had a prettty bad slam last year where I was trying to get a ton of speed for a 25-30ft jump and was too far in the back seat and ended up slamming my back on the knuckle. After an ambulance trip and some xrays luckily all i had was a bruised back. I was looking at the spine protectors and wondering if they were made for that? Like preventing your back from hyperextending backwards? Or are they more for sharp impacts on like rocks and stuff? Thanks!

#2 ·
I ride with upper body armour all the time incl. a spine protector. I think it would do nearly nothing with regards to the amount you can bend backwards. It will absorb some impact when falling on your back, and for me the main one is it should work really well protecting from quick blunt object hits, running into trees, rocks, etc.

#3 ·
That's an interesting question, so I went out to the garage and checked my spine protector (I have a pro-tec). The thing provides a bit of resistance at an extreme bend, but only a contortionist would notice. I don't think you can expect any protection of that kind.

What it will do though, is spready any impact out over a larger area of your back, which I would think would mean that more muscles would be involved in absorbing the impact. Not going to keep you injury-free, but it should reduce the scope of any injury.

Honestly, I think a spine protector is as much a no-brainer as a helmet. I may occasionally skip wearing it, but not on park and jump days!

Wow, back-slam on the knuckle! I've knuckled any number of times, but only board-first. Hope it healed properly.

#4 ·
Spine protectors are supposed to protect your back and your spine from hard hits.

Bruising is one thing, but trauma hard enough to injure or even sever the spinal cord are not uncommon in sports like motorcycle racing (where spine protectors are standard issue equipment).

They don't really do much to prevent hyper-extension because there is usually only a velcro-fastened belt/stomach loop to hold the bottom of the protector in place.

Its padding for slams onto hardpack or other objects (rocks, tree stumps, rails, ski patrol).

Also, it makes you look like a power ranger in the lodge when you take off your jacket.

#7 ·
I had a bad slam on sunday and now am bed ridden for probably a week or so... my upper half is on a 45 degree angle..

any recommendations on a spine protector? Im at the point of not wanting to ride hard anymore... too many injuries.. its catching up to me now that i just turned 30

#14 ·
I recommend the upper body worn by several posters inn this thread. It's not just your back that can get injured. Smashed my shoulder at Whistler a few seasons back- ended that trip abruptly!
There are several brands available. I found that I really like Troy Lee Designs upper body armour. Light weight, very flexible, and soft feel padding. I wear the short sleeve version, but there is a long sleeve that protects elbows as well.
Go to Extreme Sports Equipment and Accessories | AllSportProtection.com and read up/watch the vids. They have a good selection.

BTW, if you are mostly jibbing/park riding, that's when you need protection most IMO.

And yes, the looks from others when you take your jacket off is amusing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.