Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Union Flite
Thread: Union Flite
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alkasquawlik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
They're good bindings but I wouldn't go for them as your first pair, because I think they'd be too soft if your still a beginner.
The Flite's highback is really flexible, so it's much more suited to terrain park riding. If you're doing all mountain riding, it's better to have a stiffer highback but not too stiff. -My first bindings had a rock-hard highback, you couldn't bend them at all, and that made it uncomfortable.
Right now I have a pair of Union DLXs, and they are great. The highback is soft, but not too soft: just the right amount of flex. They're perfect for me because I do both all-mountain and terrain park; they are flexible enough for the park yet stiff enough for powder and groomers.
I'd get something with a medium-flex highback that way you'll be comfortable wherever you are snowboarding.
Here's a breakdown of 5 of Union's bindings, in order from least to most expensive:
DLX: Medium
Flite: Soft
Force: Medium
Atlas: Stiff
Or you could try another brand. Burton is awesome too, and most of their bindings have a medium flex which is better for starting out.
Hope that helps.
Firstly, generally beginners like to have a softer binding, so the Flite would be an ideal binding for a beginner/intermediate rider not looking to break the bank. It allows them to flex the binding a little more and get used to sliding on snow. Generally a beginner with a more responsive binding (stiffer) catches more edges, but whatever, you're gonna fall on your face regardless of your binding's flex and you can learn on anything.

And were you describing the flex of the different bindings, because you got them all wrong.

DLX/Flite: mid soft
Atlas: mid stiff
Force: mid stiff